Training advice for newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HTF do you get that many miles without a puncture, it's just part of a ride out for me........Back onto the farmers and hedges thing:cursing:
Don't know, I used to be plaqued with them at least one in every 500 miles, and then I ended up with a pair of gatorskins from halfords because the one I reserved had just been fitted to a bike, for the same price of about £13.50, that was in Aug 2013, and as I say apart from the couple of pinch punctures, they just keep going, and I don't particularly check them thoroughly after a ride either, thats how complacent they have made me, in fact they are that good they out last my wheels which I seem to get only 6-7,000 mile out of.
The debris I have ridden over is amazing, they just keep going.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Don't know, I used to be plaqued with them at least one in every 500 miles, and then I ended up with a pair of gatorskins from halfords because the one I reserved had just been fitted to a bike, for the same price of about £13.50, that was in Aug 2013, and as I say apart from the couple of pinch punctures, they just keep going, and I don't particularly check them thoroughly after a ride either, thats how complacent they have made me, in fact they are that good they out last my wheels which I seem to get only 6-7,000 mile out of.

How many miles do you get out of gatorskins then and what sort of surfaces are you riding on? I had a panic attack and went with M+ after sooo many punctures in the space of not long at all. They serve me amazingly well, but thinking of going for something a little less hardcore when they eventually wear away...which I don't anticipate for a long, long time...bit scared to go for anything less than them though, so advance research can't do me any harm...

@Turbo Rider I haven't actually had a true puncture, just two pinch punctures from hitting stones (rear 23c), thats over 10,000 miles on the front 23c and 4,000-5,000 on the rear 23c ( I would need to go check mileage memory is a bit fooked) and about 5,000 on the 25c without issue.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Hats off to you and cheers :notworthy:

I'm less than a year in though, so still a bit of a gutter rider at times, which probably definitely doesn't help...getting more confident though, so hoping I can think about something lighter in future...nothing since October though :smile:

Hats off to you and cheers :notworthy:

I'm less than a year in though, so still a bit of a gutter rider at times, which probably definitely doesn't help...getting more confident though, so hoping I can think about something lighter in future...nothing since October though :smile:
:blush:, the gatorskins I have just seem to bounce over most things ( not literally, but you get the idea), some people say they find them a little slippy in the wet, I have had a couple of occasions had wheels slip, but nothing major, the front even survived a good kerb scrapping, kissed it twice and came off but that was my fault not paying enough attention.

Nick 0668

Nick 0668

Please don't talk to me about hedges, or trees lol! That's why I'm on a bicycle after 30 years, can't afford a car!

OP
OP
D

Dobby

Thanks, all. Considering joining a club - a couple near me that have plenty of groups going out each weekend. Too hilly round me for a single speed. Re the flats issue - stopped having them once changed hybrid from default Specialized tyres (pretty rubbish) to Marathon Plus (great for not getting flats, but weigh a ton - nearly 1kg each tyre for 700x35). I'll have to get some decent tyres for the road bike - current ones are those that came with bike (not so hot).

Top Bottom