Training Advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Listener666

Regular
Hope this is in the correct forum

I returned to cycling in June, bought a BKool trainer and love it.

I have lost about 25lbs and think I am about halfway there...............I enjoy my mountain bike (nothing technical) and usually do a 20 mile ride plus 3 sessions of about 50 mins to an hour on the trainer per week.

I understand zones heart rate etc. as I have previously trained using these. (I also use watts on the turbo)

However as I need to lose weight this time as well as getting fit I am unsure as to how much time to spend in zone 2 burning fat.
From my knowledge these sessions burn far more fat than carbs.............however my fitness level will not improve as much. I find these sessions a little boring as well, and have to fight not to work in my aerobic zone.

I plan on buying a new road bike next year and want to be able to keep up with some friends on 50 mile rides and club runs.

Any help would be apreciated

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ride more often and for longer!

Forget zones and whatnot (BTW, you say you understand HR training, based on your post, I am not sure you understand as well as you think), it is just one extra distraction from the fact that your training load is very low. You need to increase volume.

Increasing intensity will probably do more harm than good.

OP
OP
Listener666

Listener666

Regular
Ride more often and for longer!

Forget zones and whatnot (BTW, you say you understand HR training, based on your post, I am not sure you understand as well as you think), it is just one extra distraction from the fact that your training load is very low. You need to increase volume.

Increasing intensity will probably do more harm than good.
Thanks for the reply Rob3rt

Apart from my weekend ride which I will increase in length /time I just don't have the time to increase the other sessions (which are indoors on the trainer)........which is why I am unsure how to split what time I have got into low intensity / high intensity workouts

I have used a HRM for 20+ years and have a sound understanding including developments during this time, however I have never had the weight loss and training to improve fitness at the same time.

In the summer I have more time and love to just go and ride on my bike.

During the winter months i think much greater gains can be had from planning your training.

Top Bottom