Training Apps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I used Zwift during the winter, but cancelled my subs when the weather improved in favour of the open road.
For medical reasons I am returning to my shed for a while. I wasn't overly impressed with Zwift so wondered what else is out then. I have a smart trainer and small W10 laptop. I am open to suggestions, even returning to Zwift if nothing else is better.
Is there anything that lets me use my GPX files ?

Red17

Veteran
Wahoo systm includes RGT which lets you upload your own routes (magic roads) although with generic scenery.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Tacx allows you to use gpx files. Upload the file and it shows where you are on a simulated 3D map and adjusts the trainer gradient accordingly. I think you only get that on paid subscription.

It also has a big library of videos so you can ride simulations of famous routes with accompanying video.

Assuming, if course, that it's compatible with your turbo.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I've done a bit of googling and the Tacx app is only compatible with Tacx trainers. Well duh, I guess that was obvious and I should have realised that. So you can ignore my post. In my defence I didn't know what kind of trainer you have.

I have in the past uploaded a gpx to an RGT "magic road" as @Red17 mentioned above. The result was rather psychedelic. It controlled the resistance and on screen I was riding through a weird jungle of geometric shapes. This was a couple of years ago though and they're probably improved it since.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
What are you looking for out of the riding app? Good graphics? No graphics? Ride on your own or with others? Etc.

I use Zwift. Primarily because of events, and the fact they usually have plenty of people taking part. If you want a hard day - you can do a race instead of structured training, which is much more fun. If you want a group ride at easy pace with people cracking jokes - they have that too. I don't think there's another app out there that can provide a comparable social experience.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

If you want photo realistic scenery you could try

https://rouvy.com/en/

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I just finished my first ride with an uploaded route on Wahoo. I quite like the fact that I can get out on my local roads in my shed.
However, although I have connected RGT and SYSTM my ride hasn't uploaded yet. Am I missing something ? I am still using the 14 day trial.
I have checked in Strava and that shows it is linked to Wahoo

Last edited:

nicocyclo

Regular
I absolutely recommend Rouvy as a must-have tool for any cyclist, whether you're a seasoned rider or just getting started. There are several reasons why I love Rouvy and why I think you will too:

1. Realistic and Immersive Experience: Rouvy's virtual routes are breathtaking! The HD graphics and accurate road simulation make it feel like you're actually riding outdoors. I can explore famous cycling destinations from the comfort of my home, experiencing different terrains and challenging climbs without leaving my living room.
  2. Extensive Route Library: Rouvy offers an extensive collection of routes from all over the world. Whether I want to ride through the scenic countryside or conquer iconic mountain passes, there's always something new to explore. The variety keeps my indoor training fresh and exciting.
  3. Training Plans and Workouts: Rouvy provides a wide range of training plans and workouts suitable for all fitness levels and goals. Whether you're training for a specific event or just trying to improve your fitness, Rouvy has structured plans that cater to your needs. The workouts are challenging but rewarding.
  4. Social and Competitive Element: The multiplayer feature on Rouvy allows me to ride with friends or compete against other cyclists in real-time. It adds a social and competitive aspect to my indoor rides, making them more engaging and motivating.
  5. Compatibility and Connectivity: Rouvy works seamlessly with various smart trainers, power meters, and heart rate monitors. Setting up my equipment and connecting to the app is straightforward, saving me time and frustration.
  6. Real-time Data and Feedback: The app provides real-time data, including power output, cadence, and heart rate, helping me gauge my performance during rides. It gives me valuable insights into my strengths and areas for improvement.
  7. Off-season and Bad Weather Solution: When outdoor conditions are unfavorable or during the off-season, Rouvy keeps my cycling routine going strong. It's a fantastic alternative to outdoor rides when I can't hit the road.
  8. User-Friendly Interface: Rouvy's interface is easy to navigate, making it accessible to riders of all tech-savviness levels. I appreciate how user-friendly it is, allowing me to focus on my workout without any unnecessary distractions.
  9. Motivation and Accountability: Rouvy's challenges, achievements, and leaderboards keep me motivated to push harder and improve my performance. Plus, the ability to track my progress over time helps me stay accountable to my fitness goals.
  10. Continuous Improvement: Rouvy regularly updates and improves its platform based on user feedback and needs. This dedication to providing an exceptional experience makes me confident that Rouvy will only get better with time.

Top Bottom