Training films for Rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi, are there any training vids out there more suited to rollers than turbo trainers?

Also when I use the turbo trainer i use a specific tyre, but I have read that you can use your road tyres for the rollers, is this true? I do have another set of tyres that I replaced with some wear, am I better of fitting these before going on the rollers? Just to add I have not used them yet.

S-Express

Rollers are more suited to warming-up than specific training routines, to be honest. You can use your regular tyres, same as you can on a turbo.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My youngest uses them - his club are indoors on rollers all winter.

And yes, you can definitely work up a sweat. He tends to put a race on the TV via Chromecast as his workout.

S-Express

Oh - Can you not work up a sweat on them? I've read that by going up the gears you can increase the resistance?

Well yes you can work up a sweat on them, as you'd need to in a warm-up. Just not ideal for structured intervals or sustained high intensity work like a 2x20, in my opinion. For structured training indoors, I'd use a turbo.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Well yes you can work up a sweat on them, as you'd need to in a warm-up. Just not ideal for structured intervals or sustained high intensity work like a 2x20, in my opinion. For structured training indoors, I'd use a turbo.
I've got a cheap turbo trainer as well. I just thought that the roller would feel more like being on the road. I could cancel the order and save my money? I do like cranking up the turbo for some interval training which I know I cannot do on the roller.

S-Express

I've got a cheap turbo trainer as well. I just thought that the roller would feel more like being on the road. I could cancel the order and save my money? I do like cranking up the turbo for some interval training which I know I cannot do on the roller.

It's useful to have both. Rollers are well worth having for all kinds of reasons so I definitely wouldn't cancel.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

It's useful to have both. Rollers are well worth having for all kinds of reasons so I definitely wouldn't cancel.
Ok thanks. They were on Amazon for £152 so I thought if they were no good someone might buy off me for £100 at some point!

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Would you recommend that I use some older tryes on the rollers. I have the Continental Grand Prix 4000S II fitted right now.

Top Bottom