Training for a specific ride...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
Morning all,
I'm thinking of gearing (no pun intended) my winter training towards 1 ride I'll be doing soon -

https://www.strava.com/segments/1562026

I appreciate that many of you will consider this to be pretty straightforward but I'm yet to tackle a climb quite as persistently uphill as this! My training thus far has been pretty general, trying to increase my FTP whilst throwing in some longer rides on climbing routes and the odd interval session.

My question - is it a good idea to now focus on climbing for the probable duration of the ride for realistic preparation/acclimatisation?

Thanks in advance!

Sharky

Guru
Havent cycled in the north west for a few years, but one climb I remember was the one out of Maccelsfield over the "cat". Do this a few times and will be good training. Cheers

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Alternatively, nip over to Mytholmroyd and do the Cragg Vale climb twice (or more!). It is about half the length and averages 3.2% instead of 4% but it would give you some idea of what to expect.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
Alternatively, nip over to Mytholmroyd and do the Cragg Vale climb twice (or more!). It is about half the length and averages 3.2% instead of 4% but it would give you some idea of what to expect.

Know it pretty well, very local to me but never done it on the bike mainly due to fear... One of my mates does it regularly so will tag along with her next time (Sunday weather permitting!) cheers...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Know it pretty well, very local to me but never done it on the bike mainly due to fear... One of my mates does it regularly so will tag along with her next time (Sunday weather permitting!) cheers...
It's a pussycat of a climb, though long by UK standards! The biggest difficulty (apart from the short steeper section mid-climb) is that you will usually get a cross/headwind from ahead/right on the open moorland section higher up. This Sunday, however, looks like being one of the rare times when you get some significant wind assistance!

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
It's a pussycat of a climb, though long by UK standards! The biggest difficulty (apart from the short steeper section mid-climb) is that you will usually get a cross/headwind from ahead/right on the open moorland section higher up. This Sunday, however, looks like being one of the rare times when you get some significant wind assistance!

Definitely the day to do it then, overshoes, gloves & arm warmers at the ready...

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The schedules that Trainer Road offer can be worked back chronologically so you are training towards a particular date. You would choose the category of rider that suits this particular challenge. You might choose to train to do it in 30 minutes + by using TR’s shorter TT programmes.

Either way I’m no expert, just a fan of TR and it’s adaptability. It’ll be great to hear how you get on. When are you doing it?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

If this is close to you simply learn to ride it. This isn’t a difficult climb it just goes on and on and on. Get on the small ring, pick a gear on the cassette which gives a some resistance and twiddle your way to the top. As Colin says it’s a pussycat.

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
The schedules that Trainer Road offer can be worked back chronologically so you are training towards a particular date. You would choose the category of rider that suits this particular challenge. You might choose to train to do it in 30 minutes + by using TR’s shorter TT programmes.

Either way I’m no expert, just a fan of TR and it’s adaptability. It’ll be great to hear how you get on. When are you doing it?

Next week... can't wait to get out without needing 4 layers of clothing tbh!

OP
OP
nickAKA

nickAKA

Über Member
If this is close to you simply learn to ride it. This isn’t a difficult climb it just goes on and on and on. Get on the small ring, pick a gear on the cassette which gives a some resistance and twiddle your way to the top. As Colin says it’s a pussycat.

The weather conspired against me slightly on Sunday so I did one of my more local, regular climbs... chickened out I suppose but, y'know..! Anyway, it's a hard enough climb for me but much shorter than Cragg or Sayalonga:

https://www.strava.com/segments/12328805

Now bearing in mind my winter training has pretty much been purely on Zwift on the turbo I surprised myself. Doubting Thomas thinking it's always the soft option to train indoors I suspected my fitness would be below par, but absolutely not so. Didn't do much of a warm up (10 minutes easy pedalling) which was a bad idea, but found it much easier than I did at the back end of autumn despite some black ice which nearly had me a couple of times... I was glad I was going up & not down!
The gentle sub-5% grades on the way home were a breeze in comparison so I travel reasonably confident.
Cragg Vale will wait til I get back now, I feel my prep has been decent which you can only know for sure when you get out there, so onwards & upwards...

Top Bottom