Training for ... nothing...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadow master

This year, I have no Charity Rides booked, and no paid for events either.

For the past 5 years I have done two Sue Ryder - Ride for Ryder, the Solent Challenge, Prudential Ride 100 (twice), Palace to Palace and for fun, the Dragon Ride (Medio)

I don't race, and at 45 I am not sure I want to start.

This year, I am training for nothing (Therefore, it is not training at all)

However, I will keep riding every day, and get fitter, stronger, lighter and faster, and more experienced.

The previous five years have been motivated by charity rides and so without one I'm free of the pressure (of having to raise X thousands of pounds in fundraising but obviously lacking in any goals.

I might book an Evans or Wiggle sportive or ride, but I will leave that to the last minute.

It is refreshing not to have any pressure to cycle, it is for once all about the enjoyment.

Do I need a goal, a challenge, something in the diary to aim for ? I dunno.

Help
Absolutley not!......Self improvement is an event in itself.....some people require external motivation,others find internal motivation enough,The main thing is to enjoy your cycling,the improvements in fitness,weight levels are just a bonus.

Ian A

Über Member
If you're cycling for the love of it and to keep healthy you've ticked off two of the best reasons.

A trip away which includes cycling can be fun. Making sure you're in the best shape to fully enjoy cycling in a scenic part of the country/world without suffering too much is good motivation. Exmoor, Wales, Yorkshire, Derbyshire, the Lake District, Scotland and everywhere else I've missed which is train journey or drivable are always nice to ride in.

This year, I have no Charity Rides booked, and no paid for events either.

For the past 5 years I have done two Sue Ryder - Ride for Ryder, the Solent Challenge, Prudential Ride 100 (twice), Palace to Palace and for fun, the Dragon Ride (Medio)

I don't race, and at 45 I am not sure I want to start.

This year, I am training for nothing (Therefore, it is not training at all)

However, I will keep riding every day, and get fitter, stronger, lighter and faster, and more experienced.

The previous five years have been motivated by charity rides and so without one I'm free of the pressure (of having to raise X thousands of pounds in fundraising but obviously lacking in any goals.

I might book an Evans or Wiggle sportive or ride, but I will leave that to the last minute.

It is refreshing not to have any pressure to cycle, it is for once all about the enjoyment.

Do I need a goal, a challenge, something in the diary to aim for ? I dunno.

Help

I'd say not. Some folk can't stay motivated without a 'goal'. Personally I just ride because I like riding.

Top Bottom