Training plan for novices?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luminus

Hi there,

I am looking for some help on how to come up with a training plan to build up enough fitness to do LEJOG. There are two of us and we are new to this and not really bike fit so we are pretty much looking for a plan to start from scratch!

Does anyone know if there is a good book/internet guide/website anything that might help us with this information? I had done a few searches but don't seam to be coming up with anything useful - I would have thought this information would have been fairly abundant.

Many thanks in advance,

Lou

Anthony

I'm not sure about books/websites etc, but I can offer my help. I've got a masters in exercise and sports science so a know about training plans.

I would recommend buying a speedometer (a cheap one is fine). Basically, start with a couple of rides a week. To start with speed is not the key, just try and go at a pace which you can maintain reasonably comfortably. Depending on your fitness go for rides of 10-20 miles. (If this is too hard have a few rests en route; if this is too easy carry on a bit more).

Week after week you can incrementally increase certain things (like distance, number of rides a week, speed and hilliness). But importantly you should do your practise rides with a weight similar to the weight of the luggage you will use on you LeJog trip. This will get your knees accustomed to the extra weight. Furthermore, do your training on the actual bike you will take on your trip.

By the last week of training it could be possible to do 3-4 rides a week, of 10-30 miles.

I would also say that for 3-4 days before your trip begins, do no cycling, have a rest and let your body be fully recovered and ready for your tour.

In general 4-6 weeks should be enough to gain the fitness you need. Remember you will actually gain fitness on your tour.

This is just a general plan and as I don't know your current fitness levels or the itinerary of your trip this could be a bit off. But you can adapt it to your needs.

PpPete

Legendary Member
For my junior JoGLErs I've put together a plan, just incrementally increasing the distance each weekend. We sarted at 15 miles and are at 30 miles now. Will be doing 50 to 60 miles on the event itself in August, so plenty of time to build up gradually.

Why not joing the CC group on mycyclinglog.com ? It's amazing how the miles add up, and it's good motivation climbing off the bottom of the table.

OP
OP
L

luminus

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice.

@Anthony - I am suprised that you say 4-6weeks should be enough as I was thinking 4-6months!

We are hoping to go in September so I am now feeling a little bit more confident that this might be acheivable. My vague plan was to get to the stage where I can cycle up to 100miles in one day and still be able to walk the next day.

@porkypete - how long in total have you set aside for your training plan?

thanks again!

Anthony

luminus said:
Hi,

Many thanks for your advice.

@Anthony - I am suprised that you say 4-6weeks should be enough as I was thinking 4-6months!

We are hoping to go in September so I am now feeling a little bit more confident that this might be acheivable. My vague plan was to get to the stage where I can cycle up to 100miles in one day and still be able to walk the next day.

@porkypete - how long in total have you set aside for your training plan?

thanks again!

Obviously 4-6 is a general statement; I don't know your fitness level. But this should be realistic time frame.

Top Bottom