Training Plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Join a club and ride with faster and fitter cyclists.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Yeah - if you’re a beginner then you don’t need a focussed training plan, just hours in the saddle.

If you’re not a beginner can you share your experience??

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you want to go fast quickly, join a club.
Otherwise, ride often, mix short fast rides with longer slower rides. Intervals are good-on the road you can sprint to the next traffic light or junction, then recover, then sprint to the next whatever.
Ride hills, short sharp ones, long gradual ones, hone your technique for each.
It’ll come!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Road/Off - road
Carrera Vulcan MTB
So mixed riding on-road and cross-country off-road? Very different situations but fitness and strength will help you for both.
Are you riding alone or in a group?
I can't really suggest a specific plan but maybe something like Strava (you can run this on a smart phone so shouldn't need any special equipment) would help you monitor your parametrics over time on similar rides so you can see any improvements you make.
Riding with other more experienced riders is a good way to push yourself to pick up the pace.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

So mixed riding on-road and cross-country off-road? Very different situations but fitness and strength will help you for both.
Are you riding alone or in a group?
I can't really suggest a specific plan but maybe something like Strava (you can run this on a smart phone so shouldn't need any special equipment) would help you monitor your parametrics over time on similar rides so you can see any improvements you make.
Riding with other more experienced riders is a good way to push yourself to pick up the pace.
I just ride on my own

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just ride on my own
Then Strava may help. The free version is plenty good enough and will give you an idea of any improvements made.

lilolee

Veteran
If you are actually serious about it then you need to follow a training plan, especially as you ride alone. Here is one from Australia, but it is MTB orientated so should suit you. It is to achieve a specific event 100km off road, but it will really give you the idea of how you need to change up your riding. It also includes strength training ang stretchingwhich are always overlooked. https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/w...017-ATB-Ascent-Riding-Program-100km-FINAL.pdf

Last edited:
Top Bottom