Training Rollers with Flywheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve been using some TACX Antares rollers borrowed from a friend for the last couple of weeks and have found that I much prefer training on rollers over a turbo. Even in this short time I feel smoother and more efficient when riding out on the roads.

The only downside for me is that after about 45 minutes or so I start to get uncomfortable in the saddle. While it is possible to stop peddling and get up out of the saddle for a very short duration as the rollers freewheel to a stop, it’s not really long enough to adjust the undercarriage and have a good stretch like you can when out on the road or on a turbo.

I notice that some sets of rollers have a flywheel (either built in or as an add-on) which I suspect would give me long enough without peddling to get comfortable again.

The models I can see that have a built-in flywheel are the TruTrainer and Elite Nero.

TruTrainer rollers seem to be the most commonly recommended but seem difficult to get hold of in the UK and quite expensive.

The Elite Nero are also quite pricey and seem to have a lot of smart functionality that I wouldn’t use such as connecting with training apps like Zwift. I’m also not sure whether the two smallish flywheels on the Nero are bulky enough to give enough freewheeling time?

The other option seems to be Kreitler Rollers with the Flywheel Add-on. These seem to be available in the UK and may be my best option?

Does anyone on here have any experience with the models I’ve mentioned above, or or can recommend any other models that extend the freewheeling duration?

Thanks in advance.
Graham.

OP
OP
Tenacious Sloth
Hmmm.. about the level of response I expected. I don’t think the TruTrainer or Kreitler rollers are that common this side of the pond.

I’ve bought some second had 3” Kreitler rollers off eBay for £60 and will see how I get on with them.

If I like them I may invest in the add-on flywheel, but it is £120 :eek:

Top Bottom