Training rollers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I am considering getting some rollers for under the drive wheel of my 20 inch wheel tadpole trike for winter use to keep my legs mobile. The only ones I can see on line come from USA but I would rather buy from a UK supplier if possible. I tend to miss the obvious quite often but has anyone got experience of this subject?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've had a look at them from the US, no one seems to do them in the UK, if you have a normal back wheel you can use any turbo trainer.......I think, I haven't so I can't try it on mine sorry.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
What is the difference to a set of diamond framed rollers? Surely you can use those, with just the rear wheel on them? I have a set of Tacx Antares that I would be willing to sell, as I have barely used them.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
What is the difference to a set of diamond framed rollers? Surely you can use those, with just the rear wheel on them? I have a set of Tacx Antares that I would be willing to sell, as I have barely used them.
For me I have a 12M (I think) nutted electric rear wheel so it would not go in, but as you say if the rear end is the same as a bike it should be OK

D

Deleted member 26715

That has got to be the ultimate Strava wee wee take an e-bike on a turbo, they would be apoplectic lol

But to @oldwheels apart from the length if you are only putting the rear wheel on the rollers won't any rollers work? Checked to make sure it's not April 1st

I’ve used an Elite turbo trainer: the type that relies on the weight on the rear axle to apply the correct pressure on the roller. With my 20” wheeled Trice it worked fine, although there was minimal clearance between the tyre contact point and the roller housing nothing rubbed. It did tend to eat tyres however, and it doesn’t seem you can get 20” trainer tyres.

Then I thought I’d get a Tacx smart trainer to use on my VTX (because the lightly laden rear wheel wasn’t apply enough pressure on the Elite’s roller) but I cannot get it to work satisfactorily. After diligently adjusting the roller tension as per the app, it’s very hard work and according to Zwift et al I can barely get it going anything like real world speeds, (no more than a simulated 10mph and that’s going ”downhill”!) even it it feels like I’m busting a gut. Oddly there is no issue when I put a DF on the trainer instead.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the input. I have a very old Tacx set I used on 26 and 27 inch wheels but reckoned something better might be available. Anyway still another couple of months outdoors given reasonable luck which I find sadly lacking in my case recently.

Top Bottom