Training - Tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I've been an avid road cyclist for several years now, commuting to work (~7mi each way now) is my primary training ground and the occasional 80mi ride every other month. I am now in my fourth year of riding the Etape Caledonia and, steadily, my time is getting better (4hrs 40min, 4hrs 30min, 4hrs 20 min in the last few years).

Last year I had a rather unfortunate accident in June resulting in 3 months of ride time being lost and I sort of put on a few more pounds than i had intended. Then i got back on the bike and rode some off before Christmas came around and i got fat again.

I'm planning on an 80mi ride at the end of January but my last ride of this length was May last year. I'm apprehensive to say the least but i have a few weeks to trim, tone and get back into riding shape. I'm under no illusions that this ride will be to simply 'get it done' and remind my body that yes, we will be stretching our legs a bit this year.

My question for you lot is how to get myself back into 'shape' in the next few weeks to make sure i don't physically cramp up and die at the 30-40mi mark.

Answers on the back of a postcard please!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are happy to slow down and just 'get it done' then I reckon that you will not have a problem being happy and just getting it done! (You sound experienced enough to know what you are doing, and a few weeks of riding can bring back a lot of fitness.)

Have fun!

Well I would sort out my diet, sort out a training plan (achievable) and remove the 80 mile millstone from around my neck and look to get a better balance into the whole thing. Thrashing the crap out of yourself in a short space of time to accomplish a ride that makes you apprehensive to simply get it done, where is the enjoyment in that.

Just my ten cents of course.

Top Bottom