Trains & Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is one of the strange things about the trains, If I want to go to say Kirkby Stephen or Newcastle or Whitehaven, I just have to turn up and take a chance on getting the bike on the train. If I want to get to Oxenholme or Lancaster I can book on line but they will not accept a booking for the bike and I have to go to carlisle railway station to book and ensure I can get the bike on the train I have to do it the night before. Virgin seems to have a rule that you can book a bike on to the train up to an hour before the train is due but only if there is room and they only take 4 bikes. Going North of Glasgow it is even worse.

Sara_H

Guru
Had exactly the same problem myself.

It's very shortsighted.

We're overrun with cars, yet our government seem hell bent on refusing to provide a cheap and adequate alternative.

Alun

Guru
Book on the East Coast Rail website. You can add a bike booking as part of the ticket purchase and then pick up your tickets from the ticket machines at most stations in the country. http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/
I can't see where to add the bike booking, do you have to register with them first?
Found it now !^_^ Thats a useful site, you can book European travel as well, wish I'd known that sooner!

Brommyboy

Über Member
This is why I travel on Virgin with the Brommy, using the touring bike when relying only on London Midland walk-on trains!

CrossCountry seem to be ok, I book with RedSpottedHanky normally and it lets you specify a bike space when booking the seat.Their Voyager/Turbostar trains have specific bike spots to use.

Just beware if one of the older HST + Carriages trains is running and you need to put your bike out of sight in the guards van they are not keen on you locking it (do it, but don't tell them!) and there isnt anything to stand it in - your better lying it on the floor so it doesn't fall over.

I would be tempted to drop down to Kendal and then take the minor roads to Milnthorpe to pick up the B5282 to Arnside then the coastal roads to Silverdale but it a bit hilly in places. Last year I got the train to Lancaster and rode up to Arnside and then got the train back to Carlisle but that was because I wanted to cross the Kent on the train I used the Lancaster canal to Carnforth and then picked up the Cumberland Coastal trail.

CrossCountry seem to be ok, I book with RedSpottedHanky normally and it lets you specify a bike space when booking the seat.Their Voyager/Turbostar trains have specific bike spots to use.

Just beware if one of the older HST + Carriages trains is running and you need to put your bike out of sight in the guards van they are not keen on you locking it (do it, but don't tell them!) and there isnt anything to stand it in - your better lying it on the floor so it doesn't fall over.

I've just been traveling round wales with my "folding cycle"

Only had hassle with one guard and whe I explained that his comany took "folding cycles enclosed within their own bag" he relented.
It's not a Brompton though!

P5210016.jpg

PA300020.jpg

Top Bottom