Tramlines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Interesting and pretty obvious really. Not a problem for someone like me that will hop, skip and jump around such hazards in the road when out on the bike but I can see it would easily catch out the less capable and less aware cyclists with the described consequences being an unsurprising result. I am sure this kind of thing also happened in the previous tram track era?

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting, just seen this, and don't think it's been posted here yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-39305038

This one in Edinburgh looks particularly horrendous!

upload_2017-3-17_14-17-10.png

[QUOTE 4725676, member: 259"]Tramline injuries are really common even in countries which have never stopped having trams. Even very capable cyclists get caught out sometimes. I know I have![/QUOTE]
Yes, but from what I have seen, the tracks in Edinburgh have been particularly poorly laid out for cyclist safety. @PK99 example above, or at the 24 second mark of this video.

I grew up in city that has the largest tram network, but there is nothing like those examples anywhere in Melbourne. That's because the trams run in the centre of the road, and hook turns are legal and encouraged for cyclists, so you never have to cross a tram track at much less than 90 degrees.
Not a problem for someone like me that will hop, skip and jump around such hazards in the

can you bunny hop both wheels sideways about a foot? Because riding across the tracks perpendicularly is not a problem, it's crossing them at a shallow angle where you can skid if they are wet or get in real trouble if your tyre falls in the groove.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Both better design and better tramlines (veloSTRAIL and so on) are available. It may be difficult to completely eliminate the danger, but most modern UK tramlines don't even seem to try.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Used to cycle in Glasgow when there were tram lines and cobbles. An interesting combination particularly when wet.

Top Bottom