Trampled Grass.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Sometime during the winter a lorry drove over the grass, leaving tracks, outside the building where I work. I've just noticed this morning that the grass on the tracks is green and new while all the undriven-on grass is still brown. Why is this?

The only explanation I can come up with is that the driven on grass was killed or damaged and the new shoots need to get in an early start so as to be able to compete for light with the surrounding grass. Anybody know any better?

Aint Skeered

The lorry had just made a delivery to the local fertiliser factory, and still had a residue on its tyres, thus bringing new life to you verges.

No, No, please don't thank me, it was nothing:biggrin:

betty swollocks

large member
I see you're in Germany and therefore drive on the right.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
Don't bother to thank me either.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Your new shoots theory sounds ok. No chance someone came along and seeded the patch while you weren't looking?

Although fertiliser, or paradoxically, some weedkillers might also be a factor - I understand some weedkillers work by causing a flush of growth that is too fast for the plant to sustain. But I'd expect the effects to be quite quick in that case...

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I'd just like to apologise to the residents of a small village near slough. last summer i reversed badly and ripped up a corner of your immaculate village green. I then drove off asap.

the shame burns

U

User482

If you think about it, it's similar to the process of controlled burning in moorland areas to encourage new growth of heather etc.

shinamo

1) it's compacted so bad it's crushed the root system and new shoots can't grip the compacted soil .
2) it's turf that doesn't root well following being crushed .

go out with a fork and hole the area to allow it to bulk slightly and entrain air into the roots . if it's difficult to negotiate for HGV traffic then place a bollard or sign on that radius , so drivers will take care .

surfgurl

Isn't this a similar situation to when you go camping? You lay the tent out, sleep in it it for a few nights and then when you pack the tent away you are left with a square shape of white / light green coloured grass.

ChrisKH

Guru
For those of you who have put grass seed down over a large area before, you may recall that compacting the seeded earth, aids seed growth/germination as it splits the seed case and allows the shoots through more quickly than an uncompacted seed. Or something like that.

This is similar to certain fruit/flower seeds require soaking in water before planting. It acts as a catalyst for seed germination.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you thought that because of the tracks, that's where the grass got the most water retention - i.e. puddles formed..... as verges aren't normally the best for soil quality and retention of water...as it's usually rubble under them.

Top Bottom