Trangia / Coleman composite stove.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
This is my stove.
A composite of a Trangia cooker and a Coleman gas stove using a C100 canister ..
It works fine and i have never had any issues with it .....
However...
On another site there have been dire warnings about gas stoves exploding when used in Trangia bodies etc ... I cant see it myself ...
There is plenty of airflow .... its called physics .....to keep the canister cool ...

Any thoughts folks ..... i just find gas less smelly and less likely to leak into my clothes than meths when touring ......

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
They only explode if operated by an utter pillock...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is my stove.
A composite of a Trangia cooker and a Coleman gas stove using a C100 canister ..
It works fine and i have never had any issues with it .....
However...
On another site there have been dire warnings about gas stoves exploding when used in Trangia bodies etc ... I cant see it myself ...
There is plenty of airflow .... its called physics .....to keep the canister cool ...

Any thoughts folks ..... i just find gas less smelly and less likely to leak into my clothes than meths when touring ......

View attachment 538496
How do you turn it off though ?

classic33

Leg End Member
The heat transfer is both ways, which is why you're advised not to use a trangia on grass. You'll burn it.

It's also the reason that there's a seperate hole on the base, for the hose for the gas conversion kits available.

I'd say you've been lucky, so far. You do not want to be near a gas cartridge when it does explode.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The heat transfer is both ways, which is why you're advised not to use a trangia on grass. You'll burn it.

It's also the reason that there's a seperate hole on the base, for the hose for the gas conversion kits available.

I'd say you've been lucky, so far. You do not want to be near a gas cartridge when it does explode.
That's one reason why I've never liked stoves with the burner on top of the bottle and went for the Epigas Alpine similar to this,

1595967770900.png

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At least with the screw on burners, you have some airflow round the cartridge in the open. Enclosed, that is removed.
I've seen a couple of stoves go up over the years, one was a 'pierce top' cannister and the other a screw on top burner, it wasn't until the late 80s I bought a stove ( the Epi Alpine I still have) I was always a Campfire sort of guy, small ring of stones with a little square section you could rake embers into with a stick then place an old small oven shelf on that to cook over.But then Campsites began to go 'posh' and ban open fires and my Girlfriend at the time wanted hot coffee in the mornings.

There are still a few campsites I know that allow fires, one of which has been a Scout/ DoE site since the 60s to my knowledge (Haddon Grove* near Monyash) and they ask you to use a spot where fires have previously been if you plan on having one and we once stayed at a site in the Lake District owned by the Forestry Commission where nobody even came to collect any fees for the 4 days we were there but that was pretty inaccessible, just a brick toilet block with a sink and tap outside.

* Haddon Grove has been there so long the campsite is marked on OS maps.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've used Triangia meths burners and Campingaz gas stoves at various times throughout my life and while I still like both, I've never seen the two combined. I'm not convinced it's a super idea if I'm honest. There's surely a good reason why a manufacturer designs a stove the way they do, I'm certainly not going to second guess it.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've used Triangia meths burners and Campingaz gas stoves at various times throughout my life and while I still like both, I've never seen the two combined. I'm not convinced it's a super idea if I'm honest. There's surely a good reason why a manufacturer designs a stove the way they do, I'm certainly not going to second guess it.
There are gas conversion kits, such as this one.
s-l640.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
I've seen a couple of stoves go up over the years, one was a 'pierce top' cannister and the other a screw on top burner, it wasn't until the late 80s I bought a stove ( the Epi Alpine I still have) I was always a Campfire sort of guy, small ring of stones with a little square section you could rake embers into with a stick then place an old small oven shelf on that to cook over.But then Campsites began to go 'posh' and ban open fires and my Girlfriend at the time wanted hot coffee in the mornings.

There are still a few campsites I know that allow fires, one of which has been a Scout/ DoE site since the 60s to my knowledge (Haddon Grove* near Monyash) and they ask you to use a spot where fires have previously been if you plan on having one and we once stayed at a site in the Lake District owned by the Forestry Commission where nobody even came to collect any fees for the 4 days we were there but that was pretty inaccessible, just a brick toilet block with a sink and tap outside.

* Haddon Grove has been there so long the campsite is marked on OS maps.
Was a warden at the local scout campsite for 15 years. All manner of stoves were used. It's where I saw the remains of a gas cartridge that exploded. They lost a tent as well, but no injuries other than to their pride.

One of my camping buddies changed a blue gaz pierced style canister and left the "empty" one horizontal pointing towards the lighted stove. There was enough gas to create a fireball 5m long that singed his eyebrows off.
I once filled a Trangia burner with a new brand of alcohol fuel from a German hardware store that must have doubled up a rocket fuel vendor. The fuel burned hot and boiled over spilling burning alcohol. Fortunately I was not cooking in a tent.

Top Bottom