Trangia stoves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
ASC1951 said:
Absolutely. The big advantage of a Trangia is that you can actually cook on it, not just blast heat into things. People who get wound up by an extra five or ten minutes probably shouldn't be cycle touring.

I don't know why anyone would go cycle touring when you can get to your destination much more quickly in a car;)

oxford_guy

Über Member
Brock said:
Yep, I love our Trangia. It served us beautifully for months of camping and even the non stick is still as good as when we started. I carried a Greenheat tin as backup fuel in case of a meths shortage and did indeed resort to it on occasion.

Some pics:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=254&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3964&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9912&g2_serialNumber=2.jpg

Are these pics of the larger "25" version? Thanks

Bodhbh

Guru
Brock said:
Thanks. Food is a big part of travelling for me, I like to find local produce and delicacies and do my best to cook them...
Well all sounds good! Should be touring later this year with a friend who iirc has a Trangia so hopefully will get to test it out.

I do love my food also and the chance to try as much as possible of the local cooking as possible. If I can afford it will quite happily chomp thru a couple of 3 course meals a day, but not sure that'll be happening much this year with the state of the pound. Really can't understand why anyone would want to eat energy bars and the like when touring gives you the green light to utterly fill your boots with gorgeous proper food! xx(

ASC1951

Guru
I never bothered using the frying pan on mine - it's too far away from the burner to work very well and frying blathers everything in blobs of fat.

Brock

ASC1951 said:
I never bothered using the frying pan on mine - it's too far away from the burner to work very well and frying blathers everything in blobs of fat.

Strange, I found the frying pan was generally too hot if anything, and why do you put blobs of fat in it?

ASC1951

Guru
No, no, the blobs of fat are those leaving the frying pan in the direction of your tent and everything else around.

A lot of people seem to have a fetish about cooked breakfast. I'm as partial to grilled pig as anyone, but I've always found it not worth the mess and fuss when I'm camping.

I find myself very loyal to my Trangia Stove. It's just one of those pieces of kit which seems so well designed and put together.
I think Brock should publish some recipes!! I don't do a lot of cooking, and find myself struggling to know what to do other the usual fried stuff or omlette.
Those chops look good.

Brock

OrbeaMartin said:
I find myself very loyal to my Trangia Stove. It's just one of those pieces of kit which seems so well designed and put together.
I think Brock should publish some recipes!! I don't do a lot of cooking, and find myself struggling to know what to do other the usual fried stuff or omlette.
Those chops look good.

Actually we were thinking of posting some recipes, Kez noted down quite a few while we travelled. I'll have to dig out her notebook.

Top Bottom