Traning programme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

As Ive allready said every 3 weeks if poss. Ive certainly never been out of top 10% as far as I am aware Unless a DNF thru a mechanical or like.Won numerous Xc and enduro events and very successfull in the SAMs series over the years bset being a 2nd in the vets.cat. Had a very succesfull career as a junior on the road.

The odd TTs that I do are certainly up to Scratch.Longer road races are slightly different as being part of a team we tend to ride for each other and that depends on courses etc.

We re doing Crits. this year for the first time so should be interesting,but Im confident that Itll suit my style as I have no problem with sudden injections of pace.

Anyway we Digress this is not going to help the OP,as I said at the start a right can of worms.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
As Ive allready said every 3 weeks if poss. Ive certainly never been out of top 10% as far as I am aware Unless a DNF thru a mechanical or like.Won numerous Xc and enduro events and very successfull in the SAMs series over the years bset being a 2nd in the vets.cat. Had a very succesfull career as a junior on the road.

The odd TTs that I do are certainly up to Scratch.Longer road races are slightly different as being part of a team we tend to ride for each other and that depends on courses etc.

We re doing Crits. this year for the first time so should be interesting,but Im confident that Itll suit my style as I have no problem with sudden injections of pace.

Anyway we Digress this is not going to help the OP,as I said at the start a right can of worms.

What are Xc,enduro and SAM events? Apologies for ignorance.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Mtb races.

I don't know anything about Mtb's or Mtb races. I would guess that there are essential differences in riding style and technique from the road, with a greater use of upper body strength in Mtbs; but aerobic fitness would more or less translate well from one to the other.

However if you are serious about the road then along the way, with a structured training programme, there has to be some time devoted to training at LT and VO2max. Hard shorter efforts at the expense of the longer rides. It's the only way to progress to higher levels of success.

lukesdad

You ve hit the nail on the head High cadence relies on the efficency of the heart and lungs to supply the required ammount of oxygen to the muscles without going anerobic and it does translate to the road very well.
Upper body strength really doesn t come into it as much as weight for obvious reasons.
As i am light and short my main strength is climbing which I relish and use them (hills)when my mileage drops (Mid spring) for as you say hard shorter efforts.
LT and VO2Max training I do when mymileage starts to drop in my 3 week cycles.

You have obviously not understood my original post. I only pointed out my off season riding, and as I explained to the OP did not want to get to detailed in other specifics as I knew nothing about him.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
You ve hit the nail on the head High cadence relies on the efficency of the heart and lungs to supply the required ammount of oxygen to the muscles without going anerobic and it does translate to the road very well.
Upper body strength really doesn t come into it as much as weight for obvious reasons.
As i am light and short my main strength is climbing which I relish and use them (hills)when my mileage drops (Mid spring) for as you say hard shorter efforts.
LT and VO2Max training I do when mymileage starts to drop in my 3 week cycles.

You have obviously not understood my original post. I only pointed out my off season riding, and as I explained to the OP did not want to get to detailed in other specifics as I knew nothing about him.

At the risk of getting pedantic I don't see how a high cadence can impact on your CV system in the way you mention. Anaerobic is without oxygen and is state of exercise that can be only maintained for very short periods maybe a minute or two maximum, normally seconds.

What you say doesn't make any sense to me.

Re your 4th week of LT and VO2max training after three weeks of long rides. Surely the 4th week of a 4 week cycle is spent doing not very much at all to consolidate strength and fitness gains. LT and VO2max are the last things you should be doing in this 4th week, but rather in the previous three weeks.

lukesdad

The lungs and heart need to be conditioned as with any other muscle, the more efficent they become the greater the time you can stave off an anaerobic state. The best way to train for this is to increase the time you train aerobicaly and one of the best ways to do this for me where I live (the hills you see) is to pedal at a high cadence,it also has other benefits recovery time being the main one.

Not sure you ve grasped my training programme where does this 4th week come from and where do the 3 weeks of long rides come from. If you re talking about summer its a 3week cycle the 3rd week tapering down. Long rides are kept to a minium.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
The lungs and heart need to be conditioned as with any other muscle, the more efficent they become the greater the time you can stave off an anaerobic state. The best way to train for this is to increase the time you train aerobicaly and one of the best ways to do this for me where I live (the hills you see) is to pedal at a high cadence,it also has other benefits recovery time being the main one.

Not sure you ve grasped my training programme where does this 4th week come from and where do the 3 weeks of long rides come from. If you re talking about summer its a 3week cycle the 3rd week tapering down. Long rides are kept to a minium.

No. That's plain wrong. sorry.

The way you ride it's unlikely you'll be getting anywhere near an anaerobic state which is from an eye balls out (red mist if you like) effort. A high cadence is a function of technique and does not impact on your CV system unless it's in a gear which is raising the HR to a + 75% MHR level as would a lower cadence at the same power levels in the same way.

Pushing back the anaerobic boundaries (training VO2max), is best done by training anaerobically, short very hard efforts, eg. sprint intervals.

You've got a three week cycle then and not a four week cycle. IOW you ride long rides for 2 weeks and do either LT and Vo2max training or taper (summer months) in week 3 and then back to week 1. Not heard of that one before.

lukesdad

You havn t listened to a word ive said you ve just spouted off your own doctrine. Its just a totally different way to train that you can t grasp I m not going to keep on repeating myself Im afraid you ll just have to live in ignorance.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
You havn t listened to a word ive said you ve just spouted off your own doctrine. Its just a totally different way to train that you can t grasp I m not going to keep on repeating myself Im afraid you ll just have to live in ignorance.

Ignorance is bliss.:sad:

OP
OP
aka0019

aka0019

Thanks again for everyones replies :biggrin:

And whoever said I would open a can of worms...you weren't wrong!

OP
OP
aka0019

aka0019

Went out on a club run today and thought i'd say how it went. There was a few people who race out, one of them being an elite rider and the feedback I received was really promising. They said they think i'll manage no problem in cat 3/4 races and that I have good power in my legs. I have always been unsure on my fitness level as I haven't cycled long so it's a great boost for me and makes me want to race even more!

Just one thing i'm unsure of now...i've asked for rollers for xmas but was thinking maybe i'd be better off with a turbo so I can have more intense training sessions, any views?

Top Bottom