Trans Cambrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Just done this one today. What can I say ? Best route Ive done by a country mile (excuse the pun). It had everything, Steep ones, long ones, Spectacular lakes and dams, stunning scenery. Not a pothole in sight. Well run good start finnish area and well stocked feed stations. Not easy a real test.

If you only do one sportive next year, try this one, you wont be dissapointed.

koro

Just done this one today. What can I say ? Best route Ive done by a country mile (excuse the pun). It had everything, Steep ones, long ones, Spectacular lakes and dams, stunning scenery. Not a pothole in sight. Well run good start finnish area and well stocked feed stations. Not easy a real test.

If you only do one sportive next year, try this one, you wont be dissapointed.

Hi, how would you compare this one to the Dragon?

koro

Better in every way !

Ok, I`ll give it a look...as a complete newbie to Sportives, I was under the impression that the Dragon was the bees knees. May I ask what the major points in what you thought were better on this one?

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Some people would probably agree about the Dragon maybe. It depends on what you want from a sportive ? I rate The Tour of Pembrokshire, Autumn Epic and The tour of the Black Mountains above the Dragon for Various reasons, But the Trans Cambrian supercedes them all on course alone and the road surfaces are the best Ive riddden on this year. The organization is very relaxed and the stocks in quantity and variety at the feed stops is also the best Ive seen. Clive Powell the organizer has come a long way since his 1st mtb marathons over a decade ago, and has more expeirience of this type of event than anybody else in the country.

Im not knocking the Dragon, but there are far too many riders for my liking and the course isnt the best you ll find in Wales, but you may enjoy it. By the way they all a lot tougher than the Dragon :biggrin:

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Couple of others you might want to look at depending on what your looking for. The merlin probably easier. The Presilli Angel Hardcore.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I saw the starters yesterday morning on my drive back from Powys to Scotland. Wish I'd been able to do it, then stay another night to see the Tour of Britain intermediate sprint through Llandrindod Wells!

koro

Some people would probably agree about the Dragon maybe. It depends on what you want from a sportive ? I rate The Tour of Pembrokshire, Autumn Epic and The tour of the Black Mountains above the Dragon for Various reasons, But the Trans Cambrian supercedes them all on course alone and the road surfaces are the best Ive riddden on this year. The organization is very relaxed and the stocks in quantity and variety at the feed stops is also the best Ive seen. Clive Powell the organizer has come a long way since his 1st mtb marathons over a decade ago, and has more expeirience of this type of event than anybody else in the country.

Im not knocking the Dragon, but there are far too many riders for my liking and the course isnt the best you ll find in Wales, but you may enjoy it. By the way they all a lot tougher than the Dragon :biggrin:

Thanks, your last sentence says it all for me, lol.... perhaps I`ll do the dragon and work my way up to the others you mentioned

Cheers

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks, your last sentence says it all for me, lol.... perhaps I`ll do the dragon and work my way up to the others you mentioned

Cheers

Glad it went well.I planned on doing the Tans Cambrian but couldnt fit it in wish i had made more effort to reorganize things now.definitely interested for next year.

I havent done the Dagon Sportive but have ridden most of the roads on my own rides,it certainly wont be a walk in the park either,the road from Neath up to the top of the Bwlch is a long old pull and you reach it about 90 miles in to the ride.

Definitely entering next years Dragon.Have looked at the website you can enter either the 130 or the 190km ride then change your mind on the day if you want to. You can book online from last week in Dcember ,it was sold out this year so book early.

koro

The 130 would seem far enough to me for a first attempt. Fingers crossed we get lucky getting an entry... Heaven forbid we get brave on the day and try the 190, lol.. Any idea how much an entry costs?

jacklad

lukesdad, i have to agree with everything you said.

my 6th sportive this year and the best by a long shot. even though i was close to calling it a day on 22 miles.

glad i dug in for the rest of the ride..

outstanding, looking forward to next years already.

did the dragon and this was much tougher.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The 130 would seem far enough to me for a first attempt. Fingers crossed we get lucky getting an entry... Heaven forbid we get brave on the day and try the 190, lol.. Any idea how much an entry costs?

Not positive but I think its about £25. I think it took a cxouple of months before sold out this year but just as well get in early.

Top Bottom