Trans gender cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My somewhat kneejerk reaction is that for sport to be compelling and "fair" nobody should have an advantage as a result of a characteristic outside that of their competitors

What I don't know is if the (presumably) naturally higher level of testosterone in a trans athlete is higher that all the female athletes or just higher than most. If trans athletes' testosterone level are real outliers then, regardless of human rights, I couldn't support them competing without some blocking of their natural testosterone. Otherwise the competition isn't who is the best cyclist (or runner or swimmer) but which trans athlete has the highest testosterone level

tom73

Guru
I assume that what ever a sport is they have testosterone levels that female athletes are permitted to have. Also assuming the level has a range that allows for natural variations such as higher level due to medical conditions such as PCOS. Then I see no problem with trans athlete having to take medication to block testosterone that fall's out of the rules. It's just being fair and equal to all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Testosterone level permitted for a woman is below 10nmol, blooming heck, that's 5-6 times the normal upper end - women's highest range in nmol is about 1.8. Mens range is 8-30nmol, someone 30-40yrs, male would be about 18-22nmol on average.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Testosterone level permitted for a woman is below 10nmol, blooming heck, that's 5-6 times the normal upper end - women's highest range in nmol is about 1.8. Mens range is 8-30nmol, someone 30-40yrs, male would be about 18-22nmol on average.
This is the but I need to understand better. Say a trans athlete reduced their level to 10, would that allow them a level higher than all non-trans women or higher than 95%, or 75%, or whatever

Higher than all non-trans women....that can't be right. But higher than "most" (however defined) I think is ok

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is the but I need to understand better. Say a trans athlete reduced their level to 10, would that allow them a level higher than all non-trans women or higher than 95%, or 75%, or whatever

Higher than all non-trans women....that can't be right. But higher than "most" (however defined) I think is ok

The thing is, the 'high' on T for a woman is less than 2.

Since 'volunteering' for the 'gentlemans operation' and subsequent 'repairs' my T went to 5, which wasn't funny. I couldn't breath on the bike, felt like I was knackered. Now on replacement therapy and it's gone up, but it's only 13 T max (way below normal of 20 for age) but my blood levels went from a low of 40 to 50 for a male - so I went back to upper end of 'oxygen transport' I feel OK now on the bike, but the 'other stuff' isn't great (being married). My blood count is now just hovering below what pro's are allowed, at 50, but endurance sport lowers it. I've moved from 40 to near 50 and felt normal again, never mine the T.

The problem in this case is the athlete has lived most of their life as a 'male' gets the differences of male traits, then changes. Nature has made that change already, and you can't change that.

I'm very sympathetic with it, but nature has already 'done it's worse' - our society etc.. this person entered full adulthood as someone they should not have been, but now has physical attributes of the 'wrong sex'.

Personally, I don't think it's fair for female athletes to compete on the same terms, at a change after puberty. The difference is there. Look at the picture of them on the plinth....

What a hot topic... I live and work in a gender fluid society, but you look at 'masters' races, there has to be some rules.... T reduction for 12 months won't stop 30 years of being medically male.

I have no answer.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
It is not just about testosterone.
m to f trans athletes benefit from muscle mass, bone structure and cardio vascular advantages gained from living most of their lives as adult males
female athletes can never compete with m to f high perfoming trans athletes.
human rights or not female athletes are being cheated, trans athletes should only compete with other trans athletes .

Top Bottom