Transferring 4GB files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have an old HP laptop which was replaced a few months back. Slowly but surely I've transferred all the important stuff to the new machine and EHD for back up purposes.

I still have 5 video files, each of around 4GB, to transfer. These are files created by transferring old VHS to digital. It's all family stuff, kids growing up etc. and I still have VHS tapes.

Each time I try to copy or move these I get a message saying there is insufficient memory and get a message suggesting I delete old files and run Disc Clean up, which I have done. So far I've tried the following different, but ultimately identical actions:

Send to
Move
Cut and paste
Copy and paste

Then I've gone on to email to myself - never finished loading the attachment.

Next tried YouSendIt but after five hours still hadn't loaded. It now seems YSI and similar have a 2GB per file limit.

I can transfer the VHS to digital again though it's a hassle. Two questions:

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Secondly how can I avoid the problem in the future?

berty bassett

Legendary Member
you cant email files that big but in the risk of being the vague ist answer ever on this forum - somewhere in the computer there is a setting that you can change to let you move bigger files to stop that memory message coming up - is it one big avi file or 4 one g files in a folder - cant you burn them to dvd and have playable dvd back up

subaqua

What’s the point
hjsplit from freebyte its free and will split the files into small sections . copy them one by one ontothe new device and them rejoin them

rusky

CC Addict
Burn them to DVD?
Use WInrar to create several smaller archives?
Assuming you have both PCs on a network, copy them to the other PC?

ohnovino

Large Member
IIRC, if the flash drive is formatted as FAT32 then there's a 4GB limit per file, and you'd need to reformat it as NTFS to take a larger file.

edit: I should have typed faster!

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
WOW - first many thanks for all the ideas. Good thing I had a decent ride last night as I know how Saturady morning is going!! They are all 4GB individual files

hjsplit from freebyte its free and will split the files into small sections . copy them one by one ontothe new device and them rejoin them

Like the sound of this.

Burn them to DVD?
Use WInrar to create several smaller archives?
Assuming you have both PCs on a network, copy them to the other PC?

That's also a thought. Thank you

Get a pen drive? An 8 gig one will only cost a few quid

Tried that one without any luck

you cant email files that big but in the risk of being the vague ist answer ever on this forum - somewhere in the computer there is a setting that you can change to let you move bigger files to stop that memory message coming up - is it one big avi file or 4 one g files in a folder - cant you burn them to dvd and have playable dvd back up

I shall investigate and as a last resort look at DVDs.

Just one last question, I hope, is it the old laptop that has the memory problem?This has been my presumption. The EHD and USB sticks I've used are brand new. The old laptop is 5-6 years old.

Just one last question, I hope, is it the old laptop that has the memory problem?This has been my presumption. The EHD and USB sticks I've used are brand new. The old laptop is 5-6 years old.
EHD ? You are taking pills for that aren't you ?

See ohnovino's post about FAT32 and NTFS ?
Well they happen to be right.
All external usb drives (well most of them if not all) come formatted as FAT32 as that's the one format that will work on a pc, apple and ps3 so they don't format them as NTFS. If you haven't reformatted as NTFS then none of your external drives will accept 4gb+ files. Take one of your usb flash drives and reformat it as NTFS and use that to transfer your large files. Then reformat the usb hard drive and repeat the backup.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
Upload to Youtube (make them private if you don't want anyone to see them) Then use a Youtube converter to download onto your new laptop.
Delete your videos off Youtube when done if you want.

Top Bottom