Transferring video from 8mm / DV cam to PC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a couple of the old man's video cameras to dispose of; I think an 8mm and DV cam. Before getting rid I'd like to copy and footage that's on their tapes.

The 8mm camera has two RCA outputs (yellow and while, I guess video and mono audio). The DV cam has USB, Firewire and a propriatory socket and associated cable that terminates in three male RCA.

I know I need to connect the AV cables to the PC and record / capture the video as it plays in realtime on the camera (I assume I can do this with free video editing software). My issues are the physical connections. I've seen both straight RCA to USB connectors, as well as some with a "box" in the middle. Am I correct in thinking that, I can't connect the 8mm camera to the PC via the RCA outs and a plain USB adaptor, since this will be sending out an analogue signal; and in which case I'd need a cable with a "box"; that presumably functions as an anolog-digital convertor..?

With the DV cam, I believe the USB connection can only be used for transferrring files from the memory card. Apparently firewire will work for video (I think the camera might have an integral anolog-digital convertor) and my PC does have a firewire port, although I don't have a cable (could posibly blag one from work, depending). Finally, again since I think the DV cam has an internal convertor I think I could use a plain RCA-USB cable for this purpose..

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest / easiest way to get footage (which seems currently just to be shaky video of birds in the garden and the old chap's feet, but still) off both cameras. I was hoping that I could buy one cable for both jobs, however it looks like (if using RCA) the 8mm camera with need something with an analog-digitial covertor, while the DV cam won't..

I'm a bit lost tbh and don't want to buy owt until I know it'll work.. so would welcome any pointers please :smile:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A DV (Digital Video) camera is natively digital, I used to have one, with FireWire like yours.

For the 8mm you’ll need an analogue to digital converter. Old computers had this via a Soundblaster card. You’ll need to buy something similar, either a card that slots inside PC or external box. You may of course have female yellow and white RCA slots on rear of your PC in which case you just need software to record that input.

Mike_P

Guru
Amazon list a number of converter's
Do a search on their for video to digital converter and then suggest a web search on those with good ratings to see how much cheaper they are elsewhere.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I never had much luck with Firewire. I installed a card on my pc but still always found it difficult, nigh impossible to get decent data transmission, gave up. It may well be the quality of the card makes the difference ?

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all - makes sense! So it looks like I need different interfaces for each... as much as I want to get cracking with this I'll see what's kicking about at work as it's possible we might have something suitable.

I'll investigate firewire first for the digicam and perhaps an expansion card for the analogue (although I suspect this would likely be an older standard if we do have something). Failing that I'll look at external stuff with an integral convertor.. tbh it's probably all a waste of time anyway given what's likely on the tapes.. but I couldn't let the cameras go without at least looking first.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got a USB converter for less than £20, and just use Windows Media programme to record the output as I'm not editing hours of FIL's videos - I'll just convert and sick onto memory sticks.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
You could also just show the 8mm on a screen (projector or maybe TV) and film it with the DV cam. The colour might be a bit washy though.

I think you've already sussed out that a cable with analogue video connectors on one end and a USB on the other won't work... despite people flogging them on Ebay/Amazon/etc.:okay:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could also just show the 8mm on a screen (projector or maybe TV) and film it with the DV cam. The colour might be a bit washy though.

I think you've already sussed out that a cable with analogue video connectors on one end and a USB on the other won't work... despite people flogging them on Ebay/Amazon/etc.:okay:

Depends if he means 8mm Video tape (of which there is 8mm and Super8) or 8mm Cine. We've also got the Cine as well, which I'm going to project and film using a digital camera - when I get round to it ! :laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Depends if he means 8mm Video tape (of which there is 8mm and Super8) or 8mm Cine. We've also got the Cine as well, which I'm going to project and film using a digital camera - when I get round to it ! :laugh:

i just took 8mm to mean cine, but got al ittle confused over the yellow and white connecters, thinking it might have been a more modern type :shy:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - far too much hassle to see what doubtless will top out at shakey footage of the living room...

i just took 8mm to mean cine, but got al ittle confused over the yellow and white connecters, thinking it might have been a more modern type :shy:
Actually I have all three; in time I want to hook up the Cine to see what's on it, but that's less pressing as I'll probably hang onto the camera and projector for nostalgia's sake :smile:

Top Bottom