Transpennine Express bike reservations - don't have one!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
I've got an advance ticket from Preston to Edinburgh in July for the first step of a touring holiday. Turns out I need a bike reservation! Also turns out there aren't any available for that one or the next.

So the question is, does anyone have any experience with whether they're strict on this "No reservation no bike" policy? I've now got a reservation for a later train but I really don't want to buy another ticket to go with the reservation, nor do I want to turn up in Edinburgh at 11:30 when I was planning on getting there at 9:37.

Thanks all :smile:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve gone west from York quite often without reservation in the last couple of years and had no problems, but out of rush hour times when there are likely to be less passengers.

snorri

Legendary Member
I think you need to speak to a human rather than use the online booking system.
A chat with the staff at your nearest railway booking office could perhaps resolve the situation. Trains have been known to have spaces available when the booking is attempted via another path.
I certainly would not want to take a chance of getting my bike on any train without a booking, particularly in peak tourist season.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Already tried my local station (other side of the country in Bedfordshire) and they couldn't book anything for me :sad:

Called Tranpennine 1st time, said no reservations available for the train I wanted, and that I'd only be able to get on that train at the conductor's discretion, called a 2nd time to book the later reservation, was told there was no chance I'd be able to get on the original train without a reservation.

Then I did a little research and realised that the bike reservation policy came in after I bought the ticket. Called again with this information and got a much more helpful lady, who actually bothered to look up the cycles policy for TPE and it turns out they allow 2 walk on bikes. If I still can't get on she advised writing a letter of complaint, explaning my situation.

Feeling a bit more confident now, thanks for the help all. I should count my blessings that I got a reservation for Inverness to London!

Top cycle-train tip - book bike reservations before booking tickets!

Called again with this information and got a much more helpful lady, who actually bothered to look up the cycles policy for TPE and it turns out they allow 2 walk on bikes. If I still can't get on she advised writing a letter of complaint, explaning my situation.

They did - but they changed it a few weeks ago and the word on my ECML-ish bit of the TPE is that the on-train staff are tending to be VERY jobsworth about it. I'd suggest taking something (which may well be the ticket itself) that proves you bought it before the change in policy, and something showing when the policy started and you _might_ be able to persuade them.

It's a real shame because what has happened is that on certain routes there are now 2-3 blocks where nobody can get a reservation because the commuters have block booked the lot. Historically we all - tourists, commuters, locals etc - used to mostly just turn up and be sensible and the only time I've been on a TPE where the number of bikes was a problem was when half a dozen of us needed to get on a train back from 'boro after a night ride to saltburn and it turned out to be a races day and extrememly busy - we were probably the least of that guard's problems that day though. We ended up in a doorway rather than the bike space because the other passengers wouldn't move the party and let us in the door near the bike space. The guard insisted on us moving to the proper bike space because it wasn't safe having bikes in the door, especially on a very busy service. Then he gleefully made the shiny-suited and posh-frocked 10am drinkers and drunks move so that we could get our bikes down the aisle and made the party in the bike space move out of it.

alicat

Legendary Member
Could be worth finding out whereabouts the bike spaces are on the train if you can and positioning yourself in the right place on the platform so that when the train comes in you are first to board. ;)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The policy is no reservation, no bike allowed even if you have a valid ticket. Local reports suggest it's pretty consistently being enforced too.
Apparently even with a reservation boarding with a bike is still at the guards discretion on busy services.

You could try to blag it, but it's a heck of a gamble.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Train pulls into Northallerton, guard spots me with bike on platform and hurriedly places himself between me and train door. 'Have you got a reservation for that cos new rules start today?' he says in an agressive jobsworth fashion.
'Yes I have' I say showing him ticket.
'Well I would have let you on anyway, even if you hadn't.' still in aggressive jobsworth mode.
'Er, thanks I think'.

Then when train has pulled out he comes and has a long conversation about cycling and what a PITA it is when train company introduce new rules.

Wonder how they'll handle it when they manage to get rid of all the guards.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Train pulls into Northallerton, guard spots me with bike on platform and hurriedly places himself between me and train door. 'Have you got a reservation for that cos new rules start today?' he says in an agressive jobsworth fashion.
'Yes I have' I say showing him ticket.
'Well I would have let you on anyway, even if you hadn't.' still in aggressive jobsworth mode.
'Er, thanks I think'.

Then when train has pulled out he comes and has a long conversation about cycling and what a PITA it is when train company introduce new rules.

Wonder how they'll handle it when they manage to get rid of all the guards.

I suspect they'd love to ban bikes full stop, and this is another step towards it.
There are lots of rumours that Northern will be next to introduce more restrictive rules once they get their new trains.

Top Bottom