Transport Museum in Gaydon - What to See?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm judging at the triple header cat show that's being held at the transport museum in Gaydon (Coventry) on Saturday. As I'm judging in the smallest of the three shows sharing the venue, I'm unlikely to have a large book of cats so I'll be done and dusted by early afternoon. The show team have been allocated a small number of discounted tickets for the museum and, knowing my predilections for all things motorsport, have kept one back for me.

I'll probably have an hour and a half tops before driving home, and, as with most museums, I'd imagine that this is nowhere near enough time to take the whole place in.

AFAIK, one of my favourite competition cars (KKV 444V) is in the collection and should be on exhibition unless it's been loaned out, so that's definitely on the list, but is there anything else in there that's a "must see?"

What does the CycleChat collective mind recommend?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The Jaguar collection is gorgeous.
I also found the staff incredibly helpful and informative. In the BL collection, one of the staff gave me unfettered access to their Triumph Stag, for me to take photos for my own restoration.
Even Mrs B, who isn't "in" to cars, enjoyed the visit.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
We have been there twice and spent a few hours on each occasion. It is very well laid out and all British cars, some of which have been in tv programs or films. There are also some bikes including Chris Boardman`s olympic winning one. Nice cafe as well. Hope you enjoy it.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Do you mean the British Motor Museum at Gaydon or the Transport Museum in Coventry? They are quite separate places.

It's the one in Gaydon.

Nice cafe as well.

That's good to know, as I'll be getting a lunch. :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd love to know how you judge a cat. I mean I presume they all have four legs, a head and a tail so what make one purrrfect?
If you read the original post these aren't real cats as they are in a book, so I reckon it's along the line of pictures of the cutest kitten type of competition, which we all know is an oxymoron as no psychopathic killer can be cute.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
I'd love to know how you judge a cat. I mean I presume they all have four legs, a head and a tail so what make one purrrfect?

I judge household pets, so that's a mix of non-pedigree (i.e. moggies), pedigree crosses or variants, neither of which can be shown in the pedigree section or full pedigrees with faults under the SOP e.g. mis-marked Birmans, Siamese with kinks in their tails, or Brits and Persians with poor dentition etc. So it really is anything and everything

Unlike the pedigree section, there are no standard of points, so cats get judged on presentation, condition, temperament and personality. Temperament is the most important really - I look for what I call the "timewasters" i.e. cats that like their cuddles or who like to play (I have a pocket full of assorted toys) or are just generally outgoing and enjoy interacting with people.

The girls are not good show cats. Poppy is Madam Growling Blanket and Lexi is Madam Might Bite... :whistle:

Top Bottom