Transporting a HP Streetmachine Gte by car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fullfathom5

I'm in the process of buying a secondhand HP Streetmachine Gte and was worrying if anybody had any experience of transporting one by car? Ideally I'd like to use a roof rack (I have a Thule Proride 598) but don't know whether it will fit. I can't get a tow bar fitted as my local Toyota dealer quoted £1575 and an aftermarket fit may cause problems with the warranty. Inside the car may be an option (I have a Corolla estate) but I'd really like to take the bike on holiday and space is at a premium. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
£1575 for a towbar? Your Toyota dealer is having a giraffe. Obviously best place is on the roof or behind.

I fitted mine on a good thule roof carrier. The one v with a downwards pointing hook. Very secure on the boom. Mine is a gt version though, but not really much difference really.

Arellcat

I only ever used a boot rack with my Speedmachine, but it was straightforward. I took off the seat, and lashed a pair of roof bars between the pannier rack and the headtube to act as a top tube, from which I hung the bike. I think you could do something similar with a Streetmachine.

Wheel spacing isn't much different from uprights so just use a good roof mounted, wheel tray based carrier. The thule ones with the downwards hook arm worked nicely with my SMGT. Should work with your SMGTe too.

Top Bottom