Transporting a recumbent bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Read (most of) the article as my Thule 591 does not really work for my SWB 'bent. The wheelbase fits the ali track OK, but the clamp arm has no downtube to clamp to - unlike a DF bike. I reversed the rack (front to back) so that the front wheel is still at the front and can arrange the clamp arm to grip the suspension unit - far from ideal - and I then use two ratchet straps to add lateral stability.

Can't see how the product is any better for an SWB bent. OK, you can drop out the front wheel and clamp the dropout - but other racks will do this too. Then you've the wheel to stow somewhere. So, not sure this rack offers anything not already available in other (cheaper) products. Unless I'm missing something.

Whilst I wish the lads every success, why try to better a Thule 591? And trying to develop something to fit a bent is only going to tap a miniscule market.

Sorry guys, nice idea, but go look for a market that's either not mature or where you can identify an untapped niche. And bents won't be it. Way, way too niche.

As a comment in the road.cc article said, sell me something to load a tandem onto a VW Transporter roof - now that could be something useful - I can't lift the bent up onto the roof of my Kia Ceed Sportswagon, or my wife's tourer either, without a second set of muscles on hand - and neither are that heavy - just awkward, and bodywork repairs are very expensive.....

Dwarfman

Regular
Mine folds, goes in the back of the car, in the boot. Pre-selected option. That roof is a long way up, add the rack or the bars, ok if you are young, fit, muscled and tall(ish) other wise is that Ouch I hear! Trailer? or Vertically on the back of the Motorised object? (Trike option).

Top Bottom