Transporting a Tandem By Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I've been waiting on a car delivery before rushing out and buying something to transport our tandem, but I will soon have a car that I'm likely to be keeping for a long-ish period. Cost is a big consideration. I have a cheap tandem that realistically will probably only be used a few times a year.I have a pair of roof bars and it shouldn't cost much to get new feet to fit them to a different car, so roof mounted seems to be the sensible option?

This seems to be about the cheapest thing out there: tandem carrier on ebay Any experience of this, or any other options that I'm ignorant of? Thanks.

machew

Veteran
Having sold my Tandem on ebay, The purchaser just took the wheels off and it fitted into the back of a normal car (with the seats down and no passenger)

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
Having sold my Tandem on ebay, The purchaser just took the wheels off and it fitted into the back of a normal car (with the seats down and no passenger)

We managed to transport it home from the shop in a Ford Ka (much to the salesman's shock!), but I'd want to transport it with 3 people in the car and while it might just about be possible it'd be very uncomfortable for the passengers I suspect.

Good point though and I shall have a trial run before spending any money - thanks.

Edit - in fact, thinking about it, a few years ago I managed a weekend away with camping gear, 2 people and a tandem in the car, although it was a fairly big estate car. I'd forgotten about that!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
when I had a tandem I made a carrier for it by combining two standard roof mounting carriers. Basically just bolted the bottom gutters together and moved the footings along a little. Easy to do and cheap too.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
When you discover that your tandem is the best way to get around you'll want to buy a better one. At that stage you'll discover the wonders of S&S couplings. Both our tandems are thusly equipped - it makes it easy to get them into the car (Ford CMax), with lots of luggage. The car itself was pretty cheap - only £4,000 - and it does 39mpg (petrol), so it's not exactly expensive to run.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I use a Helton carrier - the bike is flat on the roof (don't like the idea of it being upright ^_^)
Getting the bike on the rack is easier with 2 but you can load / unload by yourself
The website is here http://www.heltontandemcarrier.co.uk/

Also seems that the price has gone up since I bought mine :eek:

Top Bottom