Tread..............needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog

How can the contact point by anything psi. The contact point is a measure of area not pressure.

'ere we go again. Someone get the kettle on, the big one'll do. I've got the Hobnobs and some sponge cake.

All sitting comfortably? Great!

OK bonj, we're all sitting here waiting for you to make a prat of yourself again. :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bonj is right.

domtyler

Über Member
What the wise one says is true. I believe that what Mickle means is that the pressure between the tyre and the road would be 100 PSI and that would be enough to squeeze the water out. Personally I would have thought that that measurement would be a function of the combined weight of bike and rider but there you go.

papercorn2000

It would be. The force on the road is a function of the weight of rider and bike divided by the area of rubber in contact with the road. Divided front and back according to weight distribution on the bike.

Bonj is roght
Bonj es right
Binj i srught

Sorry, I can't bring myself to say it.:biggrin:

frog

Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Well, I suppose in 1,900 posts he'd have to get at least one right :biggrin:

Anyway, not much chance of the tea getting cold, biscuits getting soft, or the cake stale before he's off on one again.

Over to you Mr Starter!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Over to you Mr Starter!

Oh, Ok :biggrin:

Tread is NOT required on a road tyre then, as discussed above. Its simply a marketing ploy to make the tyre look more attractive to newbs such as myself (as read from a link above) :biggrin:

papercorn2000 said:
It would be. The force on the road is a function of the weight of rider and bike divided by the area of rubber in contact with the road. Divided front and back according to weight distribution on the bike.

Bonj is roght
Bonj es right
Binj i srught

Sorry, I can't bring myself to say it.:biggrin:

Or, to put it more simply, the very high pressure of the bike tyre means that only a tiny part is in contact with the road surface and this displaces the water as the curved part of the tyre flattens as it makes contact with the road.

bonj said:
How can the contact point by anything psi. The contact point is a measure of area not pressure.

POUNDS (as in WEIGHT) PER SQUARE INCH (as in AREA).

Bonj aint right, the question is; can I be arsed to put him right?

Er. No.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Bonj is still right.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
mickle said:
POUNDS (as in WEIGHT) PER SQUARE INCH (as in AREA).

Bonj aint right, the question is; can I be arsed to put him right?

Er. No.

ah, but he is right.

PSI is a measure of the pressure of the gas within the tyre, ie at 100psi, every sq inch of tyre is subject to 100lbs of force.

The contact area of the tyre on the road will be a measurement as a square area ie 20 sq millimetres for example.

The psi of the tyre is irrelevant, except of course in that the higher the psi of the tyre, the more resistant to compression under load it will be and therefore able to mantain a smaller contact area.:biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yeah, that avitar is cruelly misleading. We think we are replying to a well fit young babe and it turns out to be some old git whose own mother made him wear a paper bag over his head.

Get rid of it.

Panter said:
ah, but he is right.

PSI is a measure of the pressure of the gas within the tyre, ie at 100psi, every sq inch of tyre is subject to 100lbs of force.

The contact area of the tyre on the road will be a measurement as a square area ie 20 sq millimetres for example.

The psi of the tyre is irrelevant, except of course in that the higher the psi of the tyre, the more resistant to compression under load it will be and therefore able to mantain a smaller contact area.:biggrin:

You are so close, all the information you need is in you own post.

(Ps. Bonj versus Mike Burrows, chosen subject 'Bicycle Science'. I know where my money is going. And its not Bonj)

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Please enlighten me then :biggrin:

Yeah, that avitar is cruelly misleading. We think we are replying to a well fit young babe and it turns out to be some old git whose own mother made him wear a paper bag over his head.

Get rid of it.
Sorry, I've got rather attached to it :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
go on then

Physics and Maths A levels here and a Mechanical Engineering Degree

Painter's post and indeed Bonj's look right to me

I read the Sheldon and it was an eye opener to me but the tyre either opens a perfect contact to the road or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then tread does help

I find it hard to believe that all those bike shops are in on the lie and don't tell the truth to people that ask them about tyres

I was talked into some 2" City Slicker Fat Boys on an early MTB for commuting when they were the must buy bike and they ran fine but skated around something horrid in the wet, not skidded, waltzed

Top Bottom