Treating rust patches.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
So my 2008 focus has a few scabby rust patches.

A couple I've been treating for a couple of years and a couple I've been meaning to treat.

I'm not too fussed about the look it's a 13yr old family chariot from which I am extracting a couple years more value.

In years gone by with precious cars I've just rubbed it back and slapped a bit of hammerite on it. But that was in the days when hammerite was good and contained nasty good chemicals that made it work well. Probably having put on some rust killer/converter or restorer first.

I'm thinking now of rubbing back the rust, probably with the drum sanding wheel on the Dremel and the applying some rust converter

https://www.toolstation.com/rustins-rust-converter-250ml/p97400

Then coating it with some rustoleum.

Any better ideas?

Sharky

Guru
Got my ears alert for any replies. My old Zafira has a rust spot on the edge of the bonnet, about the. Size of a shilling. Been meaning to do something about it for years.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Remove flaking rust, treat with rust killer (various makes available), then paint. It gets more complicated if the metal is perforated, which can happen quickly on thin sheet steel. Then you have to do both sides, assuming both are accessible.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Remove flaking rust, treat with rust killer (various makes available), then paint. It gets more complicated if the metal is perforated, which can happen quickly on thin sheet steel. Then you have to do both sides, assuming both are accessible.

As above, but with the addition of suitable primer - Jenolite rust remover and primer is a favourite amongst the classic car community.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
It's the paint that's troubling me... I've been out of the paint industry long enough to be out of the loop now.

I'd seen jenolite, I'll have another look.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Top Bottom