Tree planting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
I know there are some really real gardeners out there but is there a correct time to plant trees or is it species dependant ?

Generally if they are bare rooted then in the winter when they are dormant - if they are in pots they can go in any time

Ganymede

Veteran
Loads of fruit trees on my allotment (apple, pear, quince, cherry, plum, greenguage).

Plot next door has had a couple of trees which had never fruited in the 15 or so years they have been in but are full of apricots this year, so that is on the list for this autumn.
I used to have an apricot tree at my last place. Unforgettably wonderful in a good fruiting year. I had it on a SW-facing wall, which I don't have at my new place. The jam was stupendous. *sighs nostalgically*.

Ganymede

Veteran
Cheers. After my trip to Holland i have some ideas for a small tree or two.
Although it's true that potted trees can go in at any time, high summer is best avoided due to the lack of water and the high rate of water loss from the leaves. Best time is really Oct - March, and I wouldn't plant a potted tree between mid-June and mid-August if I could avoid it. If you have to, make sure to keep it well watered. You're in Kent like me so you know what it's like to have arid spells! - not the last couple of days though of course!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Although it's true that potted trees can go in at any time, high summer is best avoided due to the lack of water and the high rate of water loss from the leaves. Best time is really Oct - March, and I wouldn't plant a potted tree between mid-June and mid-August if I could avoid it. If you have to, make sure to keep it well watered. You're in Kent like me so you know what it's like to have arid spells! - not the last couple of days though of course!
Yes i have had all this years rain yesterday.

The lawn certainly needed it but i vould have done without it. Quite a shock for Kent.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, tried killing it a couple of times but it coppiced a bit so it has 3 trunks and I left it alone about 10 years ago. It shields the bottom of the garden nicely from the houses at the back (and it's more than 50foot from the nearest house so no 'root' problems)

SD1

Sycamores!!! The Woodland volunteers spend most of their time digging these up in our local woods.
Including me. Don't plant sycamores. Once in a wood they soon turn it into a monoculture.

Top Bottom