Trek 2013 Domane 5.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ride

Hi all,

Here is Sliver Night a month or so in. I got it mid January and have been training very regularly. Its a great piece of technology. The electronic gearing and derailleur trimming is unbelievable. My first race, a 30 min + 1 lap crit, is this Sunday. Time to see what it can do.

Ride

IMG_20130308_150503.jpg

Steve H

Large Member
Lovely! Good luck in your race

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Amazing bike .not an obvious choise for crit racing though?
I thought the Domane was more about comfort and long distance riding.

Lee_M

Guru
Amazing bike .not an obvious choise for crit racing though?
I thought the Domane was more about comfort and long distance riding.

maybe he can only afford one bike?

btw they are incredibly comfy (I have the 5.2 - i.e. no di2 - and much brighter!)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies

btw they are incredibly comfy (I have the 5.2 - i.e. no di2 - and much brighter!)

What do you think of the seatpost decoupler system? I cant afford a new bike at the moment but when I do a Domane will be top of my wish list.

Lee_M

Guru
What do you think of the seatpost decoupler system? I cant afford a new bike at the moment but when I do a Domane will be top of my wish list.

I test rode a domane and a madone, the main difference between the two is the decoupling (ignoring geometry etc).

After riding the domane there was no way I would buy the madone, it was so much more comfortable, I can ride a 100km ride and get off without suffering

I have changed the wheels for something stiffer, which has changed the performance but the ride is still really comfy

recommended - but get a proper bike fit

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I test rode a domane and a madone, the main difference between the two is the decoupling (ignoring geometry etc).

After riding the domane there was no way I would buy the madone, it was so much more comfortable, I can ride a 100km ride and get off without suffering

I have changed the wheels for something stiffer, which has changed the performance but the ride is still really comfy

recommended - but get a proper bike fit

I do the same (except you can more than double the distance figure quoted) on a bike that is reputed to be a super stiff, verging on harsh.

Not disputing the merit of the Domane, but comfort is mainly derived from good bike fit and tyre pressure.

Lee_M

Guru
I do the same (except you can more than double the distance figure quoted) on a bike that is reputed to be a super stiff, verging on harsh.

Not disputing the merit of the Domane, but comfort is mainly derived from good bike fit and tyre pressure.

well done you then

however, the domane for me was much comfier than the same sized madone

and since he asked for my opinion I gave it

I'm glad you feel superior

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
wah wah wah

So...... failed to understand the point I was making (even though I made it VERY clear that I was not disputing the merit of the Domane, by stating exactly that), got all butt hurt and decided to throw one of your characteristic flounces!

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

Yes, it would be great to have the Domane for road races, the Madone for criteriums, and the Speed Concept for time trials; but, alas, I must also eat and afford shelter from the elements.

Ride

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

Silver Night is my first road bike so I have no reference to compare it to. I was riding a hybrid for a while before this. Well, I still am for commuting.

Ride

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have been resisting the £3800 spend on the Domane 5.9, or worse one of the three project ones in my online save! Is it the angle of the photo or the size of the frame that there is a big slope on the top tube? Never noticed that before. Also the Trek marketing pics for the 5.9 the Trek branding is almost invisble?

Anything that is good enough for Sparticus to ride in the TdF even though Trek would have ratheed he rode the Madone, is good enough for me..

Top Bottom