Trek 5200 carbon bike 2006.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No idea but i would not have spent that amount without seeing the bike 1st to check it over.

festival

Über Member
Having owned a 3 OCLV's since they first came out I have always had an interest in them. They are exceptional bike to ride but I have tell you that all three had frame failures.
Generally it was at points were tubes were bonded together that they failed.
Each of the bikes had 2 or 3 years of racing but lovingly looked after. Each time I applied for warranty it was excepted without a problem, in fact I was told by the Trek Uk guy that they always had a few back with these kind of issues. It was accepted because they was a compromise between performance and longevity of the product. Maybe I was just unlucky.
They were developing all the time. My last model was 2004 i think, so maybe the 2006 had got these problems sorted by then.
Having said all that, any 2nd hand carbon frame with the wear and tear expected over a number of years and 2 owners would be suspect, unlike steel you don't always see the damage in carbon until it goes bang. Most of the kit is not original but looks a bit cobbled together, even the skewer on the front wheel is on the wrong side which tells me the owner is not taking care.
Looking at the kit on the bike It all looks a bit scruffy, the rubber sti hoods will be well worn, the springs and jockey wheels will be worn in the gears, Handle bar tape?, cables may need changing, the teeth on the chainrings will be worn etc etc etc
All this will add to the cost in the near future. Steer clear, carbon frames of all makes have improved greatly in the last few years, its nothing special.

Top Bottom