Trek Domane 4.3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
I'm thinking of buying this as a sale bike for £1,499.

Reviews I have read are superb. I currently ride a Specialized Roubaix which I've had for 2 and a half years so I've convince the wife that I need the N+1.

How does the trek compare to the Roubaix?

I'm 5ft 6in so plan to go for the 54cm frame. The Roubaix I was sold was too big (56 cm) but I was a new rider so knew no better. A shorter stem and different saddle position has made it fit but it will be nice to have the right size bike. 5ft 6in is between the 52 and 54 cm frame but I'm used to the bigger bike so I think it will be ok.

Im a fat lad at the back at 20 stone but love riding. I've done the London 100 twice and my Roubaix has carried me over 5,000 since I've had it so its earned a rest and will become my bad weather bike.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm no roadie, but a couple of Domane riders have told me the decoupled seat post is a huge benefit.

If you get one, you might not fancy riding the Spesh any more.

A bike that fits is also a huge upgrade, never mind the components.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There are a few Domane owners on here, they all seem happy (or very happy!) with them. Would strongly recommend going to a store for a bike fit- if the sale bike isn't local to you then find a Trek dealer who is. They might price match, even if they don't paying for a fit will mean you've got the right measurements for the bike you do buy.

Onyer

I have a Spesh Roubaix and a very nice bike it is too. But the LBS also sells Trek with the Roubaix. I was having a look at the Domane 5.9, which had been used by the mechanic so I asked him how it compared to the Roubaix. He said that it was much better, more responsive and smoother. Having said that though he was comparing the top end Domane with a lower end Roubaix. But the Treks have a good reputation and reviews. Like you I have been looking at a change but not yet decided on which one to go for. On my list is Cannondale, Bianchi or something more exotic such as a Scapin.

Osprey

Guru
Difficult choice Phil. I've always like the look of the Roubaix. I,d have to test ride both and make my judgement based on that. Where are you thinking of buying them from. Let us know what you buy and post a pic.

OP
OP
philinmerthyr

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Difficult choice Phil. I've always like the look of the Roubaix. I,d have to test ride both and make my judgement based on that. Where are you thinking of buying them from. Let us know what you buy and post a pic.

I have the Roubaix. I'm keeping that but looking for a new bike. I want a carbon triple with 105 so this looks ideal. It's down from £1800 to £1500. If I get it in the sale I'll put it away until the spring and keep the Roubaix for wet weather and winter riding.

They have them advertised in a Sunset in Cardiff. Planning a cardiff ride in the morning and I'll pop in and have a look.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I go my Roubaix, I tested it alongside a Trek Domane. The Roubaix was much better for me. A better ride and much comfier. BUT, this was 2010. Both bikes have changed so much since then.

I have a Domane 4.3, the bottom bracket bearings seized within a year so the bike had to be returned for a factory repair under warranty. This seems to be a problem with Trek's push fit bearings but is easily prevented by regular servicing (or not getting the thing wet). I would check the BB is well greased at purchase. Otherwise I am very pleased, a very good ride.

Broadside

Guru
What did you do in the end Phil?

Top Bottom