Trek Domane al 2 disc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I mentioned a while ago that I would like to own one of them but my local shops are out of stock and not expecting any until the end of June. Fine by me as I don't want to get one on line as I want to see it first . I am after the black one with gold letters. Anyway, the reason for this thread is: has anyone got one and what are your views on it?
If I do get one, is it possible to change the 11-32 cassette to a bigger one , i.e 11-36 ? When I inquired in the shop, they told me 11-34 would be the max.
It has already gone up from £800 to £895 so I hope it won't go up again in June.

si_c

Guru
I've got the Domane ALR which has the isospeed system at the seatpost, so not a direct comparison unfortunately. However I find the bike extremely comfortable and it's the bike I grab first. I'm a big fan of Trek bikes generally and have not been disappointed with this one.

In terms of adding a larger cassette at the back, the difference between a 34t and a 36t cassette is a 4mm radius increase, I put a 36t on Sora R3000 with a supposed max of 34t and needed to make no adjustments, I'd imagine the Claris to be the same as Shimano are generally pretty good like that. Tiagra and 105 both appeared to have enough clearance to me although I've not tried it.

monkers

Veteran
I haven't got one, (I have an Emonda) but a nice bike I reckon. It comes with a Claris geartrain. In the Claris line up the biggest gear that Shimano supply on the cassette is 34T (identified as CS-Hg50-8ca) - though I dare say that other branded cassettes might be available, you'd need to be careful that the Claris cage length can handle it.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

I've got the Domane ALR which has the isospeed system at the seatpost, so not a direct comparison unfortunately. However I find the bike extremely comfortable and it's the bike I grab first. I'm a big fan of Trek bikes generally and have not been disappointed with this one.

In terms of adding a larger cassette at the back, the difference between a 34t and a 36t cassette is a 4mm radius increase, I put a 36t on Sora R3000 with a supposed max of 34t and needed to make no adjustments, I'd imagine the Claris to be the same as Shimano are generally pretty good like that. Tiagra and 105 both appeared to have enough clearance to me although I've not tried it.
Forgive my ignorance but what does the Isospeed system mean ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can always exceed the manufacturers limit by a small margin, try the 36, if it doesn't work too well buy one of those Wolftooth gear extenders, or the cheaper copies.
Remember you'll need a longer chain.

si_c

Guru
Forgive my ignorance but what does the Isospeed system mean ?
It's a set of bearings and elastomers in the seattube junction which allows the saddle to flex more. It works well at damping out small bumps and road noise but it's not a suspension system and is quite simple. It's on the ALR and carbon Domane bikes but not the AL series.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

It's a set of bearings and elastomers in the seattube junction which allows the saddle to flex more. It works well at damping out small bumps and road noise but it's not a suspension system and is quite simple. It's on the ALR and carbon Domane bikes but not the AL series.
I think I have one of them on my Specialized elite Roubaix.

T4tomo

Guru
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/claris-r2000/RD-R2000-GS.html

RD is long cage so has the total capacity 43T vs (36-11 & 50-34) so its just a check whether a 36T cassette will fit without a hanger extender. Shimano are always cautious so if they say 34T max, 36 should be fine

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
The difference between a bike set up with 50/34 chain rings with either a 32, 34 (the suggested max) or even a 36t largest sprocket is marginal. For sure it's still a difference, but using a traditional gear chart it equates to only 1" between each. Most stores will no doubt be happy to swap the cassette to one with a 34t but they will probably be reluctant to push past the recommended maximum capacity to the 36t.

Note as T4tomo has referenced you can often get away with pushing past listed capacity. Personally I would still recommend caution especially in this example when the 'gain' is so marginal. It may work well in the work stand and even in normal use out on the road, but it's those times when you may get caught out on a ride where you have to change gear 'under load', or on a rough surface or even just when the mech' is need of an adjustment; it these moments where pushing past the capacity may result in an issue.

Last edited:

cambsno

I got one last year (blue) - lovely bike! Looks great and have had no issues, bought from Sigma. I do live in Cambs which is fairly flat so rarely use the 32. Its well made, looks good, feels good and this is my first proper road bike.

Top Bottom