Trek Marlin 5 OR GT Aggressor Pro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_MTB

Hey there, recently I've been putting hours of research into MTB. I feel like I've looked at every bike in my budget ($500-$600) and I've settled down to two. At first, I was dead set on buying the 2018 Marlin 5 ($519), it just seemed so perfect for a good entry level trail bike. Then, my dad started trying to convince me to buy the GT Aggressor Pro at Dick's Sporting Goods for $350 (Retail- $599). I would love to save the extra money, but I had my heart set on the Marlin. Parts wise, they are pretty comparable. The only differences are the 100mm travel on the Marlin fork vs the 80mm travel on the GT, 29er wheels on Marlin, Tektro hydraulic disc brakes on Marlin, Shimano Acera rear derailleur on GT, and quick-release wheel on GT. Any opinion helps. Thanks a lot guys!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can you give links to the bikes so we can compare specs?

I think these are the bikes you are looking at, except the GT Aggressor Pro isnt listed on the GT website but the Expert model seems to match your description.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/aggressor-expert-1442

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...untry-mountain-bikes/marlin/marlin-5/p/21475/

For me, the GT gets my vote (but then it would :rolleyes:) simply because it has Shimano brakes and higher spec derailiuers. I have had a bad experience with Tektro hydraulic brakes but only good times with Shimano.

That GT frame looks sweet to me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was struggling with this last night.
upload_2018-6-21_8-59-16.png

Seems that we are not allowed to look at the Dick's site as we are outside the US. First time I have experienced this. No problem looking at the Trek or GT US pages.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I guess the Dick's Pro spec matches the Expert spec as all the items you mention are on the Expert?

Both the Trek and the GT appear to have quick release axles front & rear

The GT still gets my vote. As well as the points above, the GT has 27.5" wheels which is where it is at now, 29" is almost dead. The Gt has 8/24 spd gears while the Trek is lower spec and only 7/21 gears. A 7spd cassette might have been a thing 20yrs ago but is now reserved just for basic supermarket bikes!

The forks are much of a muchness, 100mm or 80mm you won't even notice and RST are renowned for making cheap nasty forks so the GT (own brand?) fork certainly will be as good and definitely no worse. My MTB has about 70mm of travel and I ride stuff that many of the big travel guys won't touch, or do much slower.

When you factor in the $150 dollar saving on the GT then it really is a no brainer. There will be a compromise somewhere because on paper the GT just trashes the Trek. Knowing GT it will be the wheels. GT wheels can be poor build quality so expect loose spokes after a short while. Also get the hub bearings slackened off a touch as these are always too tight and will start to self destruct prematurely, ruining an otherwise perfectly useable wheel. If either happens you can get the spokes sorted or use the $150 you saved towards some better wheels IF it happens.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Actually, scrub what I said. I just managed to find a (shockingly bad) YouTube review of what appears to be the bike that Dick's are selling - www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvgQu6NdBTQ

I couldn't watch the whole thing as it was BAD but what I did see is that the bike has mechanical Tektro brakes instead of hydraulic. This is probably preferable to Tektro hydraulic and I wouldn't dismiss the bike at that price just for the brakes but if it were me, or your heart is set on hydraulic brakes, then I would find the extra cash and get the Aggressor Expert. Having said that, cable disc brakes can be good enough if set up properly.

Without seeing the proper spec of the Dick's bike I can't really comment further as I am guessing at what the GT spec is. Can you copy and paste the spec list?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Good things to look for are the forks and brakes - things like gears wear out and will need to be replaced anyway.

With both bikes, you'll be looking at upgrading the forks at some point.

The GT however has better brakes than the Trek - so kind of edges it for me - plus they hold their value better (even the frames alone)

Of course, if you are spending around that mark for a hard-tail, you would get a better bike second hand - if you don't mind used

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I was struggling with this last night.
View attachment 415343

Seems that we are not allowed to look at the Dick's site as we are outside the US. First time I have experienced this. No problem looking at the Trek or GT US pages.
That's odd I can get it here.

@Andrew_MTB was it Dicks Sporting Goods that use to exclusively import Nishiki MTBs? They were excellent bikes. See a few down here.

Top Bottom