Trek or Specialized?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DonMcCleary

I have narrowed my bike selection to Trek DS 4 or Specialized Crosstrail Elite based on component levels that I was interested in. They were out of stock so I won’t be able to ride them until next week. Looking for any advice as far as choosing one over the other. Is Shimano M445 disc brakes any better than the Tektro Flow Set Control? Is the Specialized Fitness Brain suspension better than the Trek SR Suntour NRX ATB rated? Thanks for your assistance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just to let you know it's protocol on here to post a link when asking advise and so we don't have to trawl about and can identity the exact model.

The first thing I'd say id you really don't need the front suspension. It just adds weight and little in terms of comfort. Plus you'll save money. Use it to buy a better saddle and a good lock. I see that Rutland cycling have the Spesh at half the price of Evans for last year's model. That might be quite compelling case to buy.

I've just bought a Specialized AWOL with Tektro mechanical discs and find them superb, they're not a high end model.

OP
OP
D

DonMcCleary

I have narrowed my bike selection to Trek DS 4 or Specialized Crosstrail Elite based on component levels that I was interested in. They were out of stock so I won’t be able to ride them until next week. Looking for any advice as far as choosing one over the other. Is Shimano M445 disc brakes any better than the Tektro Flow Set Control? Is the Specialized Fitness Brain suspension better than the Trek SR Suntour NRX ATB rated? Thanks for your assistance.

Here are the links -

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/city-bikes/hybrid-bikes/dual-sport-bikes/ds-series/ds-4/p/2348600-2017/

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/fitness/fitness/crosstrail-elite/126333

Kajjal

Guru
As long as they are of decent quality hydraulic disc brakes are a lot better than cable.

Where do you plan to ride your bike ?

I find in my experience unless it is designed to work off road on a mountain bike most other suspension is not really worth it. It is just extra weight and cost.

Top Bottom