Trek Powerfly 4 Range Extender?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
So I treated myself at an online auction to the above machine, and whilst it won't be my main bike, it will be used for multi day tours and the like.

I've had it a month or so now, but only had it out once, when I met a couple of cracking guys who had a very impressive set up and absolutely all the gear.

I had a bit of range anxiety as my rudimentary grasp on simple arithmetic was telling me I had loads of miles in the tank, but my control panel was telling me I was going through the juice faster than a new born lamb. Truth be told, I was also a bit concerned about a climb that was ahead of me, as I injured myself 12 months previously tackling this route and I'm still not 100%, so I wanted to make sure I had plenty in reserve to get me over that. The boys assured me that my set up was more than ample for the ride, and they were quite right as in the end,I only used 52% of my battery, which maybe makes my question even more strange.

Anyway, these boys bikes were first class, unrestricted which I know is controversial, but who am I to judge. What I did like was the battery extender each of them had strapped to their bottle cage's and I wondered if that was an option for all ebikes or just certain types. My main battery is in the frame, so not sure if that precludes me from fitting an extender.

I did a bit of Google searching but just got confused, and I hoped I might get some advice here.

Emanresu

Range anxiety seems come with every e-bike.

What's your watts set up now (500/625?) and have you tried riding it with the power off to see how it handles.

On my 'e' I have a second battery rather than an extender. The main reason being when I am going on a single-battery ride, I can can opt of one over the other to even out the use. And extenders I've seen a more like a half-battery so not much use unless you are going on a long ride.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Range anxiety seems come with every e-bike.

What's your watts set up now (500/625?) and have you tried riding it with the power off to see how it handles.

On my 'e' I have a second battery rather than an extender. The main reason being when I am going on a single-battery ride, I can can opt of one over the other to even out the use. And extenders I've seen a more like a half-battery so not much use unless you are going on a long ride.

I have 625 and could probably squeeze 80 miles out of it, and yes it does handle OK when switched off but as you would expect, heavy. My thinking was more about multi day trips when I would look to wild camp with no possibility of getting a charge. An extender just seemed like a sensible option especially as my battery is a vertical battery nearly the size of the down tube.

Emanresu

but as you would expect, heavy

I refer to mine as a "lead pig" when in that state.

I agree and sympathise with the issue of finding a charging point but I was merely suggesting that a full size battery may be better than the half-size extender. I was tempted by the Trek 5 but couldn't get one during Covid. It's a nice bike.

The range anxiety / finding a charging point has been debated on other (touring) sites. The suggestion there was to find a cafe/pub and ask if you could charge by offering a small fee. This did work in the more hospitable / tourist friendly areas of Europe but wonder if it would work in the UK. The comment was you'll get 80% charge in a couple of hours so better than an extender if it can be done.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I refer to mine as a "lead pig" when in that state.

I agree and sympathise with the issue of finding a charging point but I was merely suggesting that a full size battery may be better than the half-size extender. I was tempted by the Trek 5 but couldn't get one during Covid. It's a nice bike.

The range anxiety / finding a charging point has been debated on other (touring) sites. The suggestion there was to find a cafe/pub and ask if you could charge by offering a small fee. This did work in the more hospitable / tourist friendly areas of Europe but wonder if it would work in the UK. The comment was you'll get 80% charge in a couple of hours so better than an extender if it can be done.

This was a bit of an impulse buy as it was bought at auction, but as you say, they are nice bikes.

Truth is, on the flat I'm not using any battery but its a welcome addition on the hills.

I've met loads of cracking people in cafes whilst out riding, I'm sure some of them wouldn't mind charging me up. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom