Trek Superfly 6 fitting 700c Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasa ski

I just bought 700c x 32 gator hard shell for my Trek Superfly 6 2014. Having read lots of forums I thought these would fit.....it took me over 30 minutes to fit each tyre due to being so tight. Then when all finally finished the outer tyre circumference was not round and caused the bike to Bob up and down. The tyre didn't appearr to be sitting in the rim correctly and no amount of fiddling could stop this uneven tyre. Have I missed something as in tyre width to thin or the rims on this bike are no good for 700c tyres? Any support would be helpful,as I need a light road bike for some distance riding but do not have the funds to purchase a road bike.

shadow master

Done similar to lots of 29ers,Must admit the 35c version may have been easier, puncture protected tyre do fight back a bit,and often need a real good pull to lift up the low spots,some pop out at 70+psi...bit like a car...I think size is OK.just need a bit more practice seating them!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The Superfly 6 is a 29" mountain bike, yes?
If so, then the diameter of the wheel is the right size for a 700c tyre, but I suspect that your 32mm Gator is way too narrow.
This bike comes with 2.2" tyres - about 55 mm. I'd go no narrower than about 40-45 mm myself.
I don't know how wide the rims are, so that's just my best guess.

Your rim is 19 or 21mm wide and technically the tyre should fit but s Doc said, it is not ideal. Deflate them, sponge some soapy water on the tyre and rim and re-inflate until you hear a mighty pop, indicated that the bead has seated.

OP
OP
R

Rasa ski

Thanks for the support, I will try the soapy water and a bit of fiddling. I was a little concerned about the 32's as originally I was looking at the Armadilo 35's.

OP
OP
R

Rasa ski

Could this be the rim tape? The stock rim tape was crap and causing punctures, somI replaced with Continental 20mm which cover the holes but does go on to the rim where the tyre would sit! Would it be better to drop this to 18mm or any other recommended width?

D

Deleted member 1258

Your rim is 19 or 21mm wide and technically the tyre should fit but s Doc said, it is not ideal. Deflate them, sponge some soapy water on the tyre and rim and re-inflate until you hear a mighty pop, indicated that the bead has seated.

The other things you could try are neat washing up liquid or talc, I had the same problem on a 700c x 23 Bontrager Racelite hard case, tyre wouldn't sit on the rim right, took about an hour to get it to sit properly.

RebornBumbler

Could this be the rim tape? The stock rim tape was crap and causing punctures, somI replaced with Continental 20mm which cover the holes but does go on to the rim where the tyre would sit! Would it be better to drop this to 18mm or any other recommended width?

It's certainly not good to have the rim tape encroaching on the bead, and might account for your problem.

OP
OP
R

Rasa ski

GREAT NEWS and thanks for all your help. Swaped the 20mm rim tape for 18mm adhesive, added some Easy Fit Tyre Mounting Fluid. Getting the tyre on was easy after 5 minutes compared to the 40 minutes last time. Couple of inflates and deflates with a bit of fettling and POP the 700c x 32 is on a seated correctly x2.

Top Bottom