Tri bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bricksmasher

Hi guys

So I finally got my Trek 7.5fx for my birthday :smile:

I always wanted a decent hybrid for its upright position, but my Personal trainer keeps saying its a great bike for time trialing, as he does that and wants to tag me along one day, he suggested to get some Tri Bars as he said could help build a little more speed, and then I have the option of the upright position for commuting to work etc when I dont need them

Are they worth considering?

Thanks guys

Mark

frank9755

Cyclist
On the basis that you can time trial on any bike and that aerobars make just about the biggest difference to speed, then, yes, you could do that. However, it doesn't have typical time trial geometry - if set-up for commuting. In particular your saddle would be too far back and your bars too high for an optimum time trialling position. If you want to do TTs seriously you might soon find yourself on the slippery slope to getting new equipment, but if you just want to do the occasional one for a laugh, then it would be fine.

Aerobars would reduce your wind resistance and hence make you go faster, but that would do nothing for your fitness as you wouldn't be doing any more work for that extra speed!

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
beening a little thick in the waist i used aro bars as i found the slitly strech position allowed me to breath better, then another plus was they took the load off my acheing wrists, all good, but they dont make u popular with a certain club as aparently i cant reach the brakes from them, i must be crashing regulary? :laugh: still a year down the line and i still havent hit anyone or thing and i love em

montage

God Almighty
beening a little thick in the waist i used aro bars as i found the slitly strech position allowed me to breath better, then another plus was they took the load off my acheing wrists, all good, but they dont make u popular with a certain club as aparently i cant reach the brakes from them, i must be crashing regulary? :laugh: still a year down the line and i still havent hit anyone or thing and i love em

Aero bars are usually, and rightly so, not allowed for club runs

frank9755

Cyclist
As you say, the issue is in group rides. If you are drafting someone then you really need to be right on the brakes. But for riding solo, it's not such a problem, or even in a looser formation group: they are permitted on audax rides in the UK (although not on PBP)

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I use aero bars, I find them great in strong head winds, extra riding position rests your wrists, great for when my legs feel like theres nothing left, adopt the position and get a boost. Great to hang your towel on when using a turbo, as far as riding in a group, if you want to use them get in front and have a blast from the pack, you don't need to be a time trialist to get the benefits from aero bars, if you want some get some!

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Cheers guys

I must admit, time trialling probably wont even happen, its just a thought... I never bought my hybrid with the intentions of time trialling, my PT loves my bike and said it would be a good one for it, so thats that really, we'll see :smile:

I am keen to getting on some decent cycling rides, mainly because I want to become a P.T and I gym regularly and need to loose some fat through diet and cardio, so cycling is now my friend, and I must admit I use Cyclemeter and disappointed if I feel i am going to slow, so I might have to invest in some of these

can anyone recommend some good ones? I am clueless I have to admit, so dont want to buy any ones and realise they are rubbish

Thanks alot guys

zexel

Veteran
I put some tri-bars on my MTB for a bit of a laugh and my average speed went up 2 mph. Admittedly comfort wasn't great but obviously they weren't designed for MTB's.

I will definitely be putting them on my road bike for the 'Flat out in the Fens' though, perfect situation for them. 112 miles of straight flat roads and possible headwinds.

I have the Deda Parabolica Clip-On Aerobars (bottom picture (they do come with the pads))

Blimey, they were £39.99 when I bought them! There are ones for hundreds of £'s, but not being a lightweight myself I don't think the lightness would have made much difference. You can certainly feel the difference in that less effort required for the same speed.

IMO worth trying, getting your position right is crucial.

OP
OP
bricksmasher

bricksmasher

Hi cheers mate
'
I see, you're not far from me :smile: I live in cambridge

I might have to invest in some of these then, thanks

Top Bottom