Tri Spoke Front Wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Probably just logo'd up Chinese open mould stuff. No idea of quality, but I would probably go tubular rather than clincher if poss. Not sure about road TTs but most trackies are on 5-spokes these days.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Wouldn't you be better looking at a rear wheel or do you already have a disc ?
If only buying one wheel, I believe it is more effective to use a front aero wheel rather than a rear one. I have another consideration as well. I have two set ups. One fixed and one geared, so a front tri-spoke is one that I could use for both machines. I can't make my mind up which set up is the quickest, so by starting with a front wheel, my options are open. I am tempted though to buy a pair for the geared bike. The pair of tri-spokes cost just over £400, but is a lot of money for only 200 miles of time trialling, which is probably all I'll do this year.

Cheers
Keith

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If only buying one wheel, I believe it is more effective to use a front aero wheel rather than a rear one. I have another consideration as well. I have two set ups. One fixed and one geared, so a front tri-spoke is one that I could use for both machines. I can't make my mind up which set up is the quickest, so by starting with a front wheel, my options are open. I am tempted though to buy a pair for the geared bike. The pair of tri-spokes cost just over £400, but is a lot of money for only 200 miles of time trialling, which is probably all I'll do this year.

Cheers
Keith
I'm pretty new to the sport but i thought the thinking was the rear is where the bigger gains are to reduce drag . I use a 50 on the front .

The PRO one's are good judging by the Tirreno - Adriatico :eek:

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Well, I took the plunge and bought myself a tri-spoke and used it for the first time for this week's club 10.

Now it was quite windy ( a side wind) and I was surprised at the amount of buffeting I got and for must of the ride could not settle on the tri bars.

So I'd like to ask anybody who uses tri-spokes, what is the maximum wind speed you would ride in?

Thanks

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm pretty new to the sport but i thought the thinking was the rear is where the bigger gains are to reduce drag . I use a 50 on the front .

Nope - it's the front!
Think about it, your back wheel is going through dirty air and is largely sheltered by your front wheel and your legs while your front wheel is stuck out in the wind all on its own so has maximum impact

frank9755

Cyclist
Well, I took the plunge and bought myself a tri-spoke and used it for the first time for this week's club 10.

Now it was quite windy ( a side wind) and I was surprised at the amount of buffeting I got and for must of the ride could not settle on the tri bars.

So I'd like to ask anybody who uses tri-spokes, what is the maximum wind speed you would ride in?

Thanks

I've not used a tri-spoke but know plenty of people who have, and the answer is that it depends on the wheel and their degree of confidence in bike-handling skills.
Top riders who are confident in themselves and their wheel would ride it in any winds that they would be happy to ride in at all. The only way to get to know what you are comfortable with is to test it.
Personally, I'd pull back from my most aero wheel (80mm rim) if the wind was above 15-18 mph but have happily ridden my 50mm in winds much stronger.

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
I've not used a tri-spoke but know plenty of people who have, and the answer is that it depends on the wheel and their degree of confidence in bike-handling skills.
Top riders who are confident in themselves and their wheel would ride it in any winds that they would be happy to ride in at all. The only way to get to know what you are comfortable with is to test it.
Personally, I'd pull back from my most aero wheel (80mm rim) if the wind was above 15-18 mph but have happily ridden my 50mm in winds much stronger.
Thanks, I have been getting used to it, but I will be keeping an eye on the weather forecasts. Have the tri-spoke set up on my fixed bike, but will switch to my gears bike which has mavic elites on if > 20mph.

Cheers Keith

Top Bottom