Triathlete wannabe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LocalLad

Hi all

Thought I should say "hi" after lurking for a bit.

Am in my 30s - typical story, cycled everywhere till I got a car at 17/18, then left my bike to rust.

Roll forward to 2011/12 when I took up running. I ran loads for a couple of years with the highlight being completing a marathon in 2012 (not very fast,but I made it).

For some reason, I'd done nothing until this January when I decided to take up swimming. I've been going 3-4 times a week,and can easily knock out 1km breast stroke before work. I've recently started pushing myself to master crawl.

I bought a road bike a few weeks ago, and had a few short rides. Finally got all the gear (spare tubes, pump etc) so started venturing further afield this weekend with a 22km ride through the country side...the feeling of speeding off through quiet lanes surrounded by fields was amazing - think I'm well and truly hooked!

To give myself some motivation,I've booked onto an autumn sprint triathlon, which can't come soon enough!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

screenman

Legendary Member
Keep up the front crawl, and join a tri club. Putting those three together and training well will make you a fit person, and if like me you enjoy excercise have three different ones makes it even better.

Today for me is swim a 1.5k at 7am 60 minutes bike late afternoon and swim training with the tri club tonight, which will be about another 2k. On top of that a full days work which started an hour ago and will finish at 5pm.

I am nearly 60 and feel 35.

OP
OP
LocalLad

LocalLad

Wow @screenman hope I'm that fit at 60 (wish I were now lol)

The training is definitely paying off...exercise plus a completely changed outlook on food and I've lost 1st 4lb in the past couple of months. I'm also much more able to go through the day without sweating / getting out of breath.

I think having 3 disciplines will help keep it interesting - when I was running,I sickened myself off it, which hopefully shouldn't happen with 3 To choose from.

Today is an hour in the pool (prob 2x400m breaststroke plus a dozen or so lengths crawl - though I don't count, just try to not drown!), and then out on the bike for another 22k lap, though I might cut short / extend depending on time.

sight-pin

Veteran
Keep up the front crawl, and join a tri club. Putting those three together and training well will make you a fit person, and if like me you enjoy excercise have three different ones makes it even better.

Today for me is swim a 1.5k at 7am 60 minutes bike late afternoon and swim training with the tri club tonight, which will be about another 2k. On top of that a full days work which started an hour ago and will finish at 5pm.

I am nearly 60 and feel 35.

And Kudos to you @screenman, nice going.

OP
OP
LocalLad

LocalLad

Wow, seems ages I posted this!

The triathlon is on Sunday, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. Going go see how it goes and if I enjoy the experience, join my local club.

Wish me luck for Sunday!

Top Bottom