Triban 3 Crankset: Replace or go compact?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tnr319

Went out for my morning training ride and only managed half my route. I stopped at some traffic lights unclipped and when I clipped in the pedal was wobbly. Thought my cleat had come loose, nope.I'd managed to work the pedal loose and it has completely stripped the thread of the crankarm. :ohmy:

So my question is: now that I need a new chainset and pedals should I take this opportunity to change to a compact?

I'm thinking that I'll need to change the front derailleur and I want to keep the same gear ratios as a triple so a change to a 11-28 cassette.

Do I need to replace the rear derailleur with a MTB one to account for the extra teeth?

Any help will be gratefully received

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You would need a new front shifter, and a new front derailleur to replace the chainset with a compact. IMHO it's not worth it, just replace the triple with another one.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Fwiw I just changed my triban bb to a 105 octalink by buying new old stock....

Got the bb for £19 from ebay. Crank arms £8 ebay and chain rings from here for £8.

Like already said it'd cost much more to go compact...

£30-40 for shifter + new front mech. You also go from a 30-26 to a 34-28. So climbing wouldnt be as easy

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
So my question is: now that I need a new chainset and pedals should I take this opportunity to change to a compact?

I'm thinking that I'll need to change the front derailleur and I want to keep the same gear ratios as a triple so a change to a 11-28 cassette.

Do I need to replace the rear derailleur with a MTB one to account for the extra teeth?

Any help will be gratefully received

You might want to replace the crank arm or chainset, but I am unsure why you need new pedals.

You do not need a mtb rear derailleur - practically all current rear mechs can handle a 28T large cog, and if existing handles a triple chainset fine then wrap range is certainly not going to be an issue with a compact.

You do not need a new front shifter - chainring pitch is no different between double and triple, nor is Shimano road double and triple front mech cable pull ratio.

You might need a longer chain, or you might not.

Finally I would be surprised if the existing triple road front mech does not work fine with a compact chainset.

As jifdave said 30-26 is slightly lower than 34-28, by about 5%.

D

Deleted member 20519

If you want to convert to a compact, that's your choice. Nobody else can make that decision for you. I replaced the standard chainset on mine with a Sora triple, £32 from Merlin Cycles + a free bottom bracket.

Have you spoken with Decathlon? I ask because there is at least a 2 year warranty with the bike (could be more) and you will probably end up with upgraded parts now under warranty. upgraded because of availability of stock

As for the cassette - I am running (and there are plenty of others as well) a 11-28 cassette on the same stock rear derailuer, so no you should not need to change the derailuer to a mtb one.

Top Bottom