Triban 500 with "cyclocross Tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Hi,

Looking to buy a bike for a very short commute. Not particularly hilly either. Effectively 3 miles to the train station then 3 miles the other end to the office.

Looking at the Triban 500 as reviews are good and possibly once the fitness steps up I can put some "road tyres" on it. Or back on it!!

Anyway my question is does anyone know if the Triban 500 can take 700x28 tyres?

like these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x28-randonneur-road-bike-tyre-id_8303019.html

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Probably, the question is will they clear the frame. Maybe someone has done this can advise. I think @Racing roadkill is our resident b'twin expert.

Lozz360

Veteran
If you were asking about 25mm then definitely, yes. I have 25mm tyres on my 500SE. 28mm though, not sure. I was about to ask the same question myself. It does appear a bit tight with the 25mms.

Hi,

Looking to buy a bike for a very short commute. Not particularly hilly either. Effectively 3 miles to the train station then 3 miles the other end to the office.

Looking at the Triban 500 as reviews are good and possibly once the fitness steps up I can put some "road tyres" on it. Or back on it!!

Anyway my question is does anyone know if the Triban 500 can take 700x28 tyres?

like these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x28-randonneur-road-bike-tyre-id_8303019.html

thanks in advance

Yes, 28s will fit.

OP
OP
Darren Jeffrey

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
Thanks for all your replies

I have decided on the Boardman CX Comp Cyclocross bike as it seems to tick all the boxes and can take a bit of a bashing

rivers

How far can I go?
Remember that widths can vary slightly between manufacturers for the same 28c size.

This. My 25mm gp4000 iis tyres are nearly 28mm

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Why change the stock tyres in the first place? Your commute sounds like its all on road?

If you aren't very fit at the moment, putting chunky cyclocross tyres on won't help, you will be better off with road tyres

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It may be because the stock tyres (23mm Hutchinson Equinox) are uncomfortable to ride on and prone to punctures.
The one just looked at on Decathlon website was 25mm Btwin resist 5.

But you'e missed the point, why put cycle cross tyres rather than road tyres on it, if the Ops long term intent was switching back to road tyres when fitter.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

You'd be better off with two ratty old hack bikes, 1 kept locked up at the station each end of your journey. Ride to station, leave bike 1, get on train, get off train, get on bike 2, ride to final destination. Anything with two wheels is good enough for 3 miles, ideally an old rigid steel MTB or hybrid, the scruffier and less attractive the better so it's not worth nicking.

Top Bottom