triban 500se?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davefb

Guru
okay, been given permission from the powers that be ( the wife) for N+1... since N is currently 1 ( dawes hybrid) I'm aiming for a road bike.
Since she also gave me a decathlon voucher for 'quite a bit', this effectively means a decathlon bike..
Now, I was thinking , the 500se..

but , blimmin' decathlon, how much is it? it's 379 in the store.. and i thought 330 online.. but as i post this link.. its 420.( "price drop, was 379.99" )
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

annoyingly, my local shop also claimed the had the triban 5 white for 299 (was 499) , I'm assuming that's a local stock limited offer , as they also had no stock..(!!!)
Is it worth driving/ringing round decathlons to find the 5? And is the 500se really the bargain claimed? What should I consider?

Any simple caveats would be gratefully received :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like someone has f'ed up the webpage

The white triban is a 3 model with Claris and no carbon fork, the 5(00) has Sora and a carbon fork, so better all round (but they all have wheels made of cheese, so budget ~£100 for some better wheels and tyres). Indeed, I think the 500 is better specced than the SE?

I'd phone around or just call central customer services?

vickster

Legendary Member
There's almost nothing in it price wise between the 500 & 500SE, so the 500 (shame they are both black though :sad: )

Best go to a store if you can, they charge for delivery and good to sit on them to check the sizing

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
There's almost nothing in it price wise between the 500 & 500SE, so the 500 (shame they are both black though :sad: )

Best go to a store if you can, they charge for delivery and good to sit on them to check the sizing

Been today, annoyingly everyone seemed busy.... I'll try again........... I was kinda annoyed due to the pricing... I had assumed they matched web/store...

ulp that alur 700 looks rather sexy in the flesh... so to speak

vickster

Legendary Member
Not surprising they were busy on the first day of the sale and a bank holiday. If no rush, wait until the schools have gone back in 10 days

OP
OP
D

davefb

Guru
Got the standard 500 in the end... for the sora rather than microshift..

and yeah... in the flesh, the 57 felt like I was "on top" of it.. the 60 felt 'great'... ( err in my work clothes and big fat boots)..

now.. wonder what to get for it now :smile:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Got the standard 500 in the end... for the sora rather than microshift..

and yeah... in the flesh, the 57 felt like I was "on top" of it.. the 60 felt 'great'... ( err in my work clothes and big fat boots)..

now.. wonder what to get for it now :smile:
high end quality clipless pedals, carbon bars, seat post & pro stem, lightweight quality saddle, if you know the right person ;)

Top Bottom