Triban 520 disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Looking to replace my Ribble 7005 as I just can't get on with rim brakes in the winter any more.

The Triban 520 disc looks like the perfect winter bike, but I'm hearing various reports about the difficulty of fitting tyres to the stock wheels.

Does anyone have the bike who can offer some knowledge on this?

Cheers

Tribansman

Veteran
Yes. I had other issues with the stock wheels as well as the notorious hard-to-fit tyres, which really is true.

If you buy this bike, I'd definitely factor in getting new wheels. I did and don't regret my purchase. Got a decent set of wheels for £220, which although I do resent, total cost still under a grand, which I think still represents decent value - especially as I'm very happy with all other aspects of the bike.

You can get a 1 handed tyre lever for around £10....makes light work of difficult to fit tyres.

I also switched to pirelli p zero tyres for the reputation of easy on off - which I have found to be true.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
To confuse you more triban 500 has very easy (one lever) tyres, and probably less issue prone breaks than 520 (at least in my experience)

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I hadn't heard of issues with the brakes? That would be one of the main reasons of switching to disc for winter, because of low confidence in rim calipers in the wet.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I hadn't heard of issues with the brakes? That would be one of the main reasons of switching to disc for winter, because of low confidence in rim calipers in the wet.

The bike has cable discs, which are not as good as hydraulics.

The brand is Promax, well, that's not exactly Shimano is it?

Given that combination, I wouldn't be surprised if the brakes are not 100% reliable.

The bike still looks good value, but it is built down to a price.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-500-disc-road-bike-black-sora-id_8554410.html

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Plenty of issues with trp/hrd, just dig on the net
On the other side promax (speaking from experience) is dead easy to set up and maintain
YMMV

Reactions: C R

BigMeatball

never had one single issue with my trp brakes.

on the other hand not one but 2 people I know had a couple of scary moments with promax.

so, all in all, opinions on the net are just worthless. all that counts is personal experience.

vickster

Legendary Member
On the other side promax (speaking from experience) is dead easy to set up and maintain
YMMV
TRP/HRD not the same as TRP Spyre mechanicals which I have / have had without issue on 3 bikes

Kevfm

Regular
I have had no problems at all with the brakes on my Triban RC500 in the 6 months I have owned it. I have no idea what make they are but they definitely work.

Reactions: C R

razzlematazzle

on the other hand not one but 2 people I know had a couple of scary moments with promax.

Sorry for bumping an old reply but would you be able to elaborate on the scary moments please? I've had this myself, so has my partner and this is the second time I've seen someone on a forum mention it so I'm curious.

Top Bottom