Triban 520 Winter vs Cube Attain Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
The weight thing spooked me a bit on the Triban, and the geometry wasn't what I was looking for, so went for the Boardman Tiagra

When you do go pick up the bike on the day. Make sure you give the bike a full visual inspection.

The last time i picked up a bike from halfords (and my last). One of their staff had tried to palm me off with a completely different bike than the one i had paid for and the bike that he had wheeled out was leaned against the counter in such way that it hid some serious cosmetic damage along one of the chainstays. It looked like it had been dropped on its side and dragged across the tarmac. The paint was completely sanded off through to the bare aluminium underneath.

The shop assistant didnt say anything to me when he had wheeled the bike out and said "this is yours". when i told him it wasnt the bike i ordered.
because mine was a different colour, he told me it was the same bike and they had run out of the particular colour i ordered.

So i decided to give the bike a visual inspection and found the cosmetic damage. When i pointed it out, he offered me a partial refund to take the bike, When i declined he told me to name my price. which i declined again.

There was no way i was leaving with the bike i hadnt ordered. He offered me a load of free accessories that i wanted to pickup anyway for wasting my time.

Ive heard similar stories of people picking up bikes that had cosmetic damage on them but because they didnt inspect the bike before leaving the shop, Halfords refused to help them when they came back later, accusing the customer of being negligent, dropping the bike and wanting them to foot the bill for a repair/replacement.

This doesnt happen at every branch though, But there are some stores that have some rather dodgy staff so just be a little cautious.

I mean you wouldnt purchase and drive off with a car without giving it a full visual inspection first would you??

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yeah I'm picking it up boxed and putting it together myself, means I get it a week earlier too. :smile:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Check Halfords small print around the warranty if you do that, I’m sure they have something that warranty voided if you put together from box

Not that I can see?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/services/lifetime-guarantee.html

If there was no warranty for putting it together yourself I'd like to think it would be in the large print, not the small print, and the wording on the website indicates it's a service they provide, not a default.

It's likely only fitting bars, saddle and wheels anyway, not like I'll need to install the drivetrain etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not that I can see?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/services/lifetime-guarantee.html

If there was no warranty for putting it together yourself I'd like to think it would be in the large print, not the small print, and the wording on the website indicates it's a service they provide, not a default.

It's likely only fitting bars, saddle and wheels anyway, not like I'll need to install the drivetrain etc.
Not sure, my Boardman CX needed much more assembly than that by the shop (some years ago)

Top Bottom