Triban rc 500 new crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
My GF's triban uses 50/34 Sora crankset, which is rather overgeared for her needs.
I have found Shimano does 9 sp 46/30 altus/alivio level crank
https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/component/acera-m3000/FC-MT210-2.html
BB is the same
Will sora fd handle wider crankset without a problem?
Possibly, you'll need to lower the derailleur cage about 2 mm above the edge of the bigger ring, and see what happens.

In any case, do you actually need to change the whole chainset?

SJS have a 46T Sora chainring

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainri...m-bcd-5-arm-outer-chainring-f-type-black-46t/

Wouldn't just changing the rings be easier?

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Its 4arm chainset, r3000, apart from that a bailout of 30 is better than 34

Actually, in case it works how many extra spacers would I need to put on BB? 2.5 on each side?

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Its 4arm chainset, r3000, apart from that a bailout of 30 is better than 34

Actually, in case it works how many extra spacers would I need to put on BB? 2.5 on each side?
Oops, missed that, should have noticed as I have the same bike!:shy:

Not sure about the spacers, wouldn't it be the same as the Sora?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I think mtb cranks are supposed to work with 73mm BB...
So 5 extra mm...
The only problem is should extra width go on both sides or on left side to keep the chainline as close to original as possible? Or am I missing something?

C R

Guru
I think mtb cranks are supposed to work with 73mm BB...
So 5 extra mm...
The only problem is should extra width go on both sides or on left side to keep the chainline as close to original as possible? Or am I missing something?
2.5 mm may not make a lot of difference to the chainline, the thing that I am now doubting is if the spacing between the chainrings is different between mtb and road chain sets.

I’ve got a pair of 165mm, 46/34 lasco crankset that I took off a Wiggins Rouen as I went the other way. 110BCD and I believe fit a 107mm square taper BB if any good? Just needs crankbolt covers/screws as they got reused on new crankset?

Any good?

C R

Guru
I’ve got a pair of 165mm, 46/34 lasco crankset that I took off a Wiggins Rouen as I went the other way. 110BCD and I believe fit a 107mm square taper BB if any good? Just needs crankbolt covers/screws as they got reused on new crankset?

Any good?
OP's bike has a hollowtech bottom bracket, so would need to change to square taper. Having said that, it may be cheaper to get a sealed square taper bb to use your crankset than buying a brand new hollowtech crankset.

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Actually these go for around 40e so probably cheaper than a square taper BB and crankset

On the other side it seems only 175mm length so too long:sad:

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
It does but as I need delivery to Spain cost rises
I think it may be easier just to put a wider cassette...

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom