Tricross or Tricross sport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pauljonhaz

I'm hoping someone could give me some advice on which bike to purchase. I'm currently riding a slicked up mountain bike, and after reading a few reviews on the Tricross and test riding the Tricross sport I've realised its time for a change.

I currently commute 7miles each way to and from work 60% road 40% gravel cycle path and my leisure rides are a range of surfaces road, gravel path, field, muddy cycle path but nothing I would call real off-road, this is why I thought a tricross would suit because of it versatility.

The problem I have is which to go for? What advantages would I get in the Sport model over the base model and is it worth the extra £150.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
Paul

Norm

Greetings

I've a Sport model and love it. There's plenty of posts already under my user name, so I won't further burden those who are already bored reading me rattle on about them, I'll just suggest you read the following and some of the links to other posts in them

https://www.cyclechat.net/
https://www.cyclechat.net/

OP
OP
pauljonhaz

pauljonhaz

Cheers for the input norm it seems you really rate your tricross!

I'm still unsure of what model and to make matters worse I've been told that the 2011 range should be along shortly and if I buy now it will be thowing money away as the same bike will be about £150 cheaper in the next couple of months as the new model comes out. Is there any truth in this?

Norm

pauljonhaz said:
Cheers for the input norm it seems you really rate your tricross!
Am I that transparent. :biggrin:

Yup, I love it as a do-it-all kinda ride. I commuted on it today, it was a few minutes more than the same route on the Secteur but that could be down to the crap traffic round here at the moment.

The 2011 models will be out soon, and the 2010 prices might dip... but then you'd be missing out riding the Tricross for the summer.

Besides, if the 2011 models, because of currency movements, are down-specced from the 2010 models, then the demand for the 2010 models might not fall off and you'll have waited for nothing.

There's always something coming along soon if you want to wait for it. ;)

Norm has hit the nail on the head there. I nearly waited for the 2009 Boardman Comp MTB to come out as it was very late into the 2008 season but I'm glad I went for the 2008 as I got a better Recon fork by not pontificating.
I'd buy the Tricross Sport now if I were you, you won't regret it.

Bill

l4dva

Guru
I loved my tricross sport too! It was a brilliant bike, super quick with road tyres, and with the standard tyres you could take it pretty much anywhere! I used to do 7 mile commutes on mine and had no issues with it what so ever, I cliped on mudguards for rainy days and wasn't ever worried about it getting it wet or anything like that, it really is a all conditions go anywhere do anything bike.
Buy it you wont regret!

Norm

I used my Tricross for the 9-mile each way commute today and my average speed for the return journey (at 17.1mph) was pretty much exactly the same as the journey last week on the Secteur.

I think that the extra size in the rubber helped me maintain speed over the rougher sections of my commute, and the Secteur feels faster and more responsive, but when taking the state of our roads into account, it was a close match.

Whilst this isn't a scientific study, weather, traffic etc will all have had an effect too, as will the move to clipless pedals, but I'm pretty impressed that the journey times were within a few seconds of each other over a 30 minute commute.

I think I'll try it on the Secteur again tomorrow, with the SPD's now fitted, see what sort of time that turns in.

hotmetal

Norm said:
as will the move to clipless pedals

Aha! So you've gone clipless? Is that as a result of my demonstration of how fast it's possible to unclip on a slicked-up mountainbike on a muddy towpath in an emergency? Twice!

PS I was out in Swinley Forest with the mtb lot last Tues and a guy came flying past us (as in head-on, not overtaking) on a cyclocross bike. In Swinley? Wild man! I was too busy avoiding a crash to spot if it was a Spesh but it proves how much you can do on a cycloX.

OP
OP
pauljonhaz

pauljonhaz

Thanks for all the advice I think I will go to msteels (LBS) this weekend and have another (longer) test ride and will possibly just go ahead and purchase and enjoy it instead of waiting around.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom it has been a great help! :ohmy:

bauldbairn

hotmetal said:
PS I was out in Swinley Forest with the mtb lot last Tues and a guy came flying past us (as in head-on, not overtaking) on a cyclocross bike. In Swinley? Wild man! I was too busy avoiding a crash to spot if it was a Spesh but it proves how much you can do on a cycloX.

Are you sure it wasn't the man "Norm" himself? :biggrin: I believe he's currently doing timed loops of the countryside on his "Tricross" to demonstrate the benefits of "clipless" to the wildlife in your area. :smile: - :ohmy:

Norm

hotmetal said:
Aha! So you've gone clipless? Is that as a result of my demonstration of how fast it's possible to unclip on a slicked-up mountainbike on a muddy towpath in an emergency? Twice!
I have indeed. There's a thread somewhere, titled "faster with clipless?".

bauldbairn said:
Are you sure it wasn't the man "Norm" himself? :bravo: I believe he's currently doing timed loops of the countryside on his "Tricross" to demonstrate the benefits of "clipless" to the wildlife in your area. :bravo: - :smile:
I'm sure Hottie would recognise me... I'm not an easy to miss when passing on a narrow track. :bravo:

Besides, I'm on the Secteur today. :bravo:

Norm

Norm said:
I used my Tricross for the 9-mile each way commute today and my average speed for the return journey (at 17.1mph) was pretty much exactly the same as the journey last week on the Secteur.
<<snip>>
I think I'll try it on the Secteur again tomorrow, with the SPD's now fitted, see what sort of time that turns in.
Did the run on the Secteur today and averaged 15.6mph. I love headwinds. ;)

Top Bottom