Tricycle riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Get all your braking over with before turning into a corner and don't brake whilst cornering as the trike will try and tip over the front wheel(don't ask how I know that) as for cambers just steer towards the crest of the road it comes naturally after awhile but the best advice I can give is find a large empty car park or a play area and just do figure of eights at increasing speeds to get a feel for tipping points etc .

classic33

Leg End Member
Get all your braking over with before turning into a corner and don't brake whilst cornering as the trike will try and tip over the front wheel(don't ask how I know that) as for cambers just steer towards the crest of the road it comes naturally after awhile but the best advice I can give is find a large empty car park or a play area and just do figure of eights at increasing speeds to get a feel for tipping points etc .
It's downhill in nearly every direction where you are though.

OP
OP
Aurora

Aurora

Thanks for all the responses folks, I got her out again yesterday (wasn’t well over the end of last week and the weekend.) and will be practicing lots this week. I did get a video but no idea how to get it on here. :scratch:

It looks like I’m not doing too badly, my brothers friend was there on Sunday (wish I’d been there for that :laugh:) he rides bicycles everywhere and made a right pigs ear of it haha.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the responses folks, I got her out again yesterday (wasn’t well over the end of last week and the weekend.) and will be practicing lots this week. I did get a video but no idea how to get it on here. :scratch:

It looks like I’m not doing too badly, my brothers friend was there on Sunday (wish I’d been there for that :laugh:) he rides bicycles everywhere and made a right pigs ear of it haha.
Yep you have to 'unlearn' just about everything from riding a bike. :cycle:

I've seen that as well.

One trick to make it easier ....
Only hold the handlebars with one hand, just rest the other one on top of them.
Because the resting arm is more relaxed, you'll get/feel more feedback though it as you move your shoulders on a camber/corner.
It's a similar trick as only holding a recumbents handlebars with your finger tips to increase your feel by being more relaxed.
A lot of the time, if I'm not going silly fast, I just ride along with my hand just resting on top of the handlebars on my recumbent trike as it's the most relaxed position for me to be in.
But then again a low recumbent trike is less affected by a camber trying to steer you into a ditch, so it's easier ...... ^_^

byegad

Legendary Member
Recumbent trikes are way easier. I fell off twice on my only attempt at adult upright trike riding, and that in a car park!
You can just get on and ride a recumbent trike. IF you really, really try you can lift the i side wheel but even then it's controllable.

OP
OP
Aurora

Aurora

Thank you all for your tricks and tips. Today I was very brave and went out on the real roads. :wahhey: Ok so it was only 2-3 miles but I did it! Feeling very accomplished! :ninja:Still very tense but got onto a straight smooth road and popped the battery on and away I went round the block (or two).
The roads I’ve been practicing on are extremely bad like jigsaws with so many potholes, dips and speed ramps it’s ridiculous. Also one road I tried had a sheer side - hard to explain. So getting onto a better road Was totally different and I didn’t even get bothered with any camber! Yay! Confident enough now that I will be able to bring it home as I had to wheel it up to my mums house from the original delivery point when I first got it. :dance:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thank you all for your tricks and tips. Today I was very brave and went out on the real roads. :wahhey: Ok so it was only 2-3 miles but I did it! Feeling very accomplished! :ninja:Still very tense but got onto a straight smooth road and popped the battery on and away I went round the block (or two).
The roads I’ve been practicing on are extremely bad like jigsaws with so many potholes, dips and speed ramps it’s ridiculous. Also one road I tried had a sheer side - hard to explain. So getting onto a better road Was totally different and I didn’t even get bothered with any camber! Yay! Confident enough now that I will be able to bring it home as I had to wheel it up to my mums house from the original delivery point when I first got it. :dance:
:bravo:

Wait til the roads get icy, bikes struggle to cope but a trike is fantastic.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The tyres on my bike are very thin like racing tyres I suppose I would need snow ones or something?
Nah, mines only got thin-ish tyres on and I've spent years trying to get it to slide in Ice/Snow and it barely does. :sad:

As long as the tyres have a bit of tread they'll grip and it's not like a bike where a little skid can cause a tumble.

trike 002.JPG

OP
OP
Aurora

Aurora

Nah, mines only got thin-ish tyres on and I've spent years trying to get it to slide in Ice/Snow and it barely does. :sad:

As long as the tyres have a bit of tread they'll grip and it's not like a bike where a little skid can cause a tumble.

View attachment 436142

Ok so think my tyres are extra thin lol here she is.

Attachments

• 156AE0F8-3B65-4887-ABA5-39558BA031AC.jpeg
    156AE0F8-3B65-4887-ABA5-39558BA031AC.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 72

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ok so think my tyres are extra thin lol here she is.
Wider tyres actually have less grip in ice, they should be fine.

Nice Trike BTW, mine was quite similar before I converted it apart from the box on the back, mine should have a basket but that's up in the loft along with the original handlebars, mudguards, front fork/wheel and a saddle about a foot wide.

This is what mine should look like,

$_86.jpg

OP
OP
Aurora

Aurora

Wider tyres actually have less grip in ice, they should be fine.

Nice Trike BTW, mine was quite similar before I converted it apart from the box on the back, mine should have a basket but that's up in the loft along with the original handlebars, mudguards, front fork/wheel and a saddle about a foot wide.

This is what mine should look like ]

Thank you! I’m really pleased with it. :smile: She’s in such excellent condition. Was only stored inside and used on dry days. Serviced 3 years ago. I think I need new brake pads as she doesn’t stop too quickly, but not rushing as I’m still scared of downhills so very heavy on them right now.

Was there a reason you removed the mudguards? Lol sounds like you rebuilt the entire thing! I do like it better how it looks now. It’s very nice.

Incidentally any ideas where I can get a rain cover for putting on while I’m at work? I plan to cycle to work and home. and a big basket for the front to carry a dog in? The one on right now is far too small.

Top Bottom