Trigger shifters & superman bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I'm looking to migrate some of my 10 speed kit over to my Giro but 10 speed grip shifters don't seem to exist, I already know that bar end shifters are truly awful which leaved trigger shifters. Has anyone tried this & does it work?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, I have 10 speed trigger shifters on my Musashi and they work fine. I had them in preference to the bar end shifters.

x7 SRAM Shifters.

6018175866_68d7e3ce20.jpg

Alf

Guru
I am happy with my bar-end shifters but I suppose the two types of Shimano triggers (road and MTB each require specific rear mechs for 10 speed) would also be useable on Superman bars. What don't you like about the bar-end shifters by the way?

I am happy with my bar-end shifters but I suppose the two types of Shimano triggers (road and MTB each require specific rear mechs for 10 speed) would also be useable on Superman bars. What don't you like about the bar-end shifters by the way?

Sorry to butt in but.... They hank on your leg. I have just changed my B2 over to twist grip for this reason but you've now got me thinking about trigger shifters! However bar ends do have the virtue of instantly switching to non index if required.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Another option, or to give more options, are thumb mounts:-

http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbies.html

right now only the MTB version, the 22.2mm size, is available with the hinged clamp, but the road version with hinged clamp should appear in the next couple of weeks. With that version you can choose Shimano(which will also work with silver friction shifters with the adaptor), Campag or SRAM. This could allow you to use SRAM TT style bar end shifters positioned wherever you like on the bars. I think these are the ones that the lever flicks back into place whenever you shift.

Alf

Guru
Sorry to butt in but.... They hank on your leg. I have just changed my B2 over to twist grip for this reason but you've now got me thinking about trigger shifters! However bar ends do have the virtue of instantly switching to non index if required.
Shimano 10 speed don't have a friction option but the 9 speed ones do and in friction mode they work surprisingly well with 9 or 10 speed cassettes.

When I got my bike with superman bars one of the first things I did was to angle the bars up a bit so that my arms were straighter and higher. This has proved very comfortable and I don't have a problem with the shifters catching my legs. Doing tight turns is more restricted than with hampster bars but that isn't really made any worse by the shifters. I suppose this all emphasises that people get used to (and either like or dislike) a range of arrangements on the bike. You just have to find out what works best for you and hope not to spend too much money in the process.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
For me I just found them really akward to use on the bottom of the bars as I kept on having to move my grip to change gear.

MacB, hate thumbies & R2C shifters end up working just like trigger shifters but will be more expensive & because the way you're using them is all wrong they're too heavy for your fingers.

Top Bottom