Triggering an inductive loop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Update. I may have created a triggering device. I attached 20 neodymium magnets to a steel ring 39cm across. Drop the thing across two of the sensor lines and the gate opens (or the office staff saw me out there and is messing with me). Tried this a few times at Jax and will be in Atlanta tomorrow where I may be able to test it there. The ring didn't work without the magnets, should it have ? I love the brake disc idea, but we are still using drums and a worn out rear/trailer drum weighs 75 pounds (90 for a new one).

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You can usually see the lines. I believe they are usually retro-fitted, by digging a narrow line in the tarmac, then covering with bitumen or something.

The lights near me have a diamond shaped pattern on the tarmac. Not clear on the pic but inside the red line. I assume this is the loop. Actually there are two on the approach to the lights and the timing is perfect - ride over the first and the lights change just as I get to them .

loop.JPG

bruce1530

Guru
Just beside the barrier at my work car park, there used to be a conveniently-placed fire extinguisher... ^_^

But the management eventually got sensible, and cut a couple of feet off the end of the barrier, so bikes and pedestrians can get past.

I can also raise the barrier when walking over the sensor wearing safety boots....

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Update. I may have created a triggering device. I attached 20 neodymium magnets to a steel ring 39cm across. Drop the thing across two of the sensor lines and the gate opens (or the office staff saw me out there and is messing with me). Tried this a few times at Jax and will be in Atlanta tomorrow where I may be able to test it there. The ring didn't work without the magnets, should it have ? I love the brake disc idea, but we are still using drums and a worn out rear/trailer drum weighs 75 pounds (90 for a new one).

Maybe the magnets just added to the mass of metal, it all helps.

toffee

Guru
Currently on the ferry back from The Netherlands after cycling there for two weeks. There were no problems triggering the sensors at any of the lights we came across. Alot even changed as we approached

Mike_P

Guru
Had a look at the local set that are an issue last night and maybe a bit of an tarmac outline but not readily evident. As it was approaching 8pm and traffic was pretty light I jumped the red as normal as there were no vehicles about. The issue will crop up to be investigated further when the fading evening light means that shopping trip changes to a pre work one clashing with school traffic.

Alex321

Veteran
Finally got to test this out on the one for the exit barrier at the office, and riding over the edge of the rectangle rather than the middle works.

It had gone up for me once before (in many dozens of trips), but I had no idea why it had happened just that once until I read this thread.

Mike_P

Guru
Decided to try it out today and slight problem - no evidence of the loop so once again it was continue to the edge of the main road and jump the red when the opportunity arises.
1694028929568.png

1694028967796.png

• Hugs
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
brommieinkorea

brommieinkorea

Thought I'd revive this thread for an update. Success! Sort of.... I purchased a roll of aluminum flashing (the stuff for roofing) 10' x 8" and it has been successful at opening the gates at 3 different facilities. Bit of a pain to un roll and re roll, and then ride it around on the rear rack, but it works.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Off topic, but can anyone explain the technology that measures slow and stationary traffic (shows as orange and red display) on google maps GPS ?

Other mapping apps are available

figbat

Slippery scientist
Off topic, but can anyone explain the technology that measures slow and stationary traffic (shows as orange and red display) on google maps GPS ?

Other mapping apps are available

They are simply tracking the phones and other connected devices that move along these roads. No doubt there's some fiercely protected and complicated algorithms that calculate what's going on.

Top Bottom